weird issue when trying to read mask option from file
Question 
Hi,

I am trying to perform mask attack with different mask configurations that are predefined in a file. I read each line of that file using shell script and execute hashcat-cli32.bin.

However, some of configs that I read from file, though works if I issue them directly from command line, do not work if I read them from file.

For example this one:
Code:
./hashcat-0.46/hashcat-cli32.bin -m 0 -a 3 --disable-potfile --outfile-format=1 -o cracked.dic hashed.txt --pw-min 4 ?l?l?d?d

When reading from file it says:
Code:
Usage: hashcat [options] hashfile [mask|wordfiles|directories]

Try --help for more help.

Which I think suggesting I used a wrong format. when in terminal it works fine.

What I do in script is to read "--pw-min 4 ?l?l?d?d" part from file and concatenate it with the first part, which is the same all the time. I just want to try different mask strategies.

Any suggestion? thanks!
You are probably not escaping some values properly.
Can you give more details on the actual lines in the script itself?
(11-08-2013, 07:02 PM)unix-ninja Wrote: You are probably not escaping some values properly.
Can you give more details on the actual lines in the script itself?

sure!

heres the full script:
Code:
# read mask per line from the file
old_IFS=$IFS      # save the field separator          
IFS=$'\n'
for line in $(cat $1)
do
    echo "======> mask: $line ..."
    ./hashcat-0.46/hashcat-cli32.bin -m 0 -a 3 --disable-potfile --outfile-format=1 -o cracked.dic $2 $line
done
IFS=$old_IFS

$1 is the mask file and $2 is the hashed file. and the mask file is like:

Code:
?l?l?l?l?l?l
--pw-min=4 ?l?l?d?d
--pw-min=5 ?l?l?l?l?d
--custom-charset1=?d?l ?1?1?1?1

only the first one works.
In cases like this I normally just add a "echo" before the actual command (like echo ./hashcat-0.46 and you will see what is going on)... also I normally prefer the:
while read line
do
// ... something with the line
done < $1

but it depends from case to case
(11-08-2013, 07:16 PM)philsmd Wrote: In cases like this I normally just add a "echo" before the actual command (like echo ./hashcat-0.46 and you will see what is going on)...

do you mean to print the command out to see the problem? When I printed it out, then copy n paste the echoed command to command line, it still works. this is the most confusing part.

(11-08-2013, 07:16 PM)philsmd Wrote: also I normally prefer the:
while read line
do
// ... something with the line
done < $1

but it depends from case to case

The reason I use for loop because while seems not wait each execute before looping the next, thusly I cannot perform my masks one by one (using while loop they seems to be messed with each other and some of them will not get executed).
I don't think that last problem (not wait) has anything to do with for vs while... I think that problem is totally unrelated...
Indeed executing the cmds not one after the other should only happen if you force the process to execute in background ( & )
Try it with the echos to test with while...

Anyway the solution for for is (also see here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17099...delimiters )

Code:
#!/bin/sh
old_IFS="$IFS"
IFS='
'
for line in $(cat $1)
do
    echo ./hashcat-0.46/hashcat-cli32.bin -m 0 -a 3 --disable-potfile --outfile-format=1 -o cracked.dic $2 $line
done
IFS="$old_IFS"

Basically, you need to enter a newline right into the shell script file... should work...
both while/for work here
The problem here is simple. You are piping multiple arguments to hashcat through the $line variable, and your script is therefore sending them to hashcat as a single parameter.
You think it's saying: hashcat --flag param
But it's actually executing like this: hashcat "--flag param"

Here is a revised version of your script that should work a lot better:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

masks="`cat $1`"
hashfile=$2

IFS=$'\n'
set $(cat $1)

for line in $@; do
  echo "++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++"
  cmd="./hashcat-0.46/hashcat-cli32.bin -m 0 -a 3 --disable-potfile --outfile-format=1 -o cracked.dic $hashfile $line"
  eval $cmd
done
Yes that makes sense! I got it working, thank you!!!!

one question though, I don't quite understand your code though. are you trying to preload the masks file and then loop the variable in stead of the file? i mean for these 3 lines of code:

(11-08-2013, 08:37 PM)unix-ninja Wrote:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

masks="`cat $1`"

set $(cat $1)

for line in $@; do

Instead of looping the file, it actually looping the characters in the file path, which is the $1.
thanks for the link! very informative. trying it now.

(11-08-2013, 07:41 PM)philsmd Wrote: I don't think that last problem (not wait) has anything to do with for vs while... I think that problem is totally unrelated...
Indeed executing the cmds not one after the other should only happen if you force the process to execute in background ( & )
Try it with the echos to test with while...

Anyway the solution for for is (also see here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17099...delimiters )

Code:
#!/bin/sh
old_IFS="$IFS"
IFS='
'
for line in $(cat $1)
do
    echo ./hashcat-0.46/hashcat-cli32.bin -m 0 -a 3 --disable-potfile --outfile-format=1 -o cracked.dic $2 $line
done
IFS="$old_IFS"

Basically, you need to enter a newline right into the shell script file... should work...
both while/for work here