How to identify a random Hash?
I've been doing some hashing using some of the archived crack me if you can contests files. It's led me to wonder how it is possible to identify a random hash as a certain algorithm? I've found a few scripts online to help, but other than a few algorithms they help identify, even then its not 100% reliable. I was wondering if theres any tutorials or guidelines for identifying a hash other than process of elimination and luck?
this was just discussed last week

http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3840-pos...l#pid21907
Thanks for the link, guess i'll keep tinkering with it in my free time. by the way I loved the 25 gpu cluster you did in 2012. Definitely got a whoa out of me.
Thanks! But 25 GPUs is mere child's play compared to what we have now Wink
Really can't decide if your response its awesome or scarey lol. I can only imagine with the hashtopus now in play. A lot more practical than the VCL clustering plus you don't need the expensive infinity band equipment. Is there anyway for a new guy to get involved in this project, outside of the coding ?
We don't use Hashtopus, we developed Sagitta Hashstack.
not an open source tool I take it?
no, commercial
Looks like you guys did a good job. Little out of my price range though, broke college student lol. Pretty much stuck with whatever I have left over from mining at the moment.