rules file for download or best of the rule files that come with the software
I am still trying to get into a 7z archive I password protected a couple of years ago.  I'm pretty sure the password is too long for a plain brute force attack, so I have tried using markov chains and thresholds, and now that that yeilded no results, I am trying the following:

I have created a file with all the passwords I use as well as typical permutations and am trying rules like best64.rule.  I am just wondering if there are any better rule sets out there.  All the google results on the hashcat site are broken links.  Does anyone know a source?

Barring that, which of the rule files that come with the software do you recommend?  Thank you.
(08-02-2015, 05:54 PM)turbogiant76 Wrote: I am still trying to get into a 7z archive I password protected a couple of years ago.  I'm pretty sure the password is too long for a plain brute force attack, so I have tried using markov chains and thresholds, and now that that yeilded no results, I am trying the following:

I have created a file with all the passwords I use as well as typical permutations and am trying rules like best64.rule.  I am just wondering if there are any better rule sets out there.  All the google results on the hashcat site are broken links.  Does anyone know a source?

Barring that, which of the rule files that come with the software do you recommend?  Thank you.

"Typical permutations" sounds like something you'll almost certainly happen upon anyway with rules.

Anyway, if time and electricity usage aren't things you care about, just use dive.rule and be done with it. That's what I would do if I cared hard enough about the contents of the archive. If you don't have enough time for that, you should try to find d3ad0neV3.rule. It's pretty good at cracking passes for its size.

Another thing to look into would be to consider changing your dictionary. To save GPU time, you could sort both your dictionaries and run them through "comm" to only display the unique words in the new dictionary. Just an idea.