Hashcat doesn't manage fans/temps properly.
Hey,

I've been trying to decrypt some WPA stuff with a big dictionary on my PC (i5-750 and MSI R9 270X, where the CPU is not involved in calculations) and I noticed that hashcat64 crashes after I leave it on for a while and I need to restore it. Then I noticed that the fan speed is stuck at 33% and doesn't change, even after going over the retain temperature. Changing fan settings in MSI Afterburner or Overdrive settings results only in brief change of fan speed, but it is quickly set back to 33% by hashcat (working or paused, doesn't matter). I can however change settings when hashcat is not running at all, which makes me pretty convinced that this is the real culprit.

I'm on Windows 7 if it matters. I'd love to do it on Linux, but the pro drivers there don't support my card :c

Thanks,
spaqin
To solve the fan speed simply fix OpenCL installation by doing the steps *exactly* as explained here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fre...hould_i_do

Also, you should thank AMD to no longer support your GPU on linux
(12-06-2016, 07:27 PM)spaqin Wrote: Hey,

I've been trying to decrypt some WPA stuff with a big dictionary on my PC (i5-750 and MSI R9 270X, where the CPU is not involved in calculations) and I noticed that hashcat64 crashes after I leave it on for a while and I need to restore it. Then I noticed that the fan speed is stuck at 33% and doesn't change, even after going over the retain temperature. Changing fan settings in MSI Afterburner or Overdrive settings results only in brief change of fan speed, but it is quickly set back to 33% by hashcat (working or paused, doesn't matter). I can however change settings when hashcat is not running at all, which makes me pretty convinced that this is the real culprit.

I'm on Windows 7 if it matters. I'd love to do it on Linux, but the pro drivers there don't support my card :c

Thanks,
spaqin

In Afterburner

-Set fan curve so it is 100% at 80C
-Force speed update every 1000ms (default is 5000)

Attached Files
.png   2016-12-11 03_43_11-MSI Afterburner properties.png (Size: 43.39 KB / Downloads: 14)
The same situation with Nvidia, the latest drivers installed.