Backtrack 5r1 Aircrack
I understand this is not directly hashcat related but this is the forum I spend most time on and to be honest I am more likely to get a decent answer here !

It is somewhat hashcat related though and I am sorry if I shouldn't ask on this forum.

Until now I have been using my copy of Backtrack 4 quite happily and I managed to update aircrack so I could use the –J option to make my hcap files.

I decided to make the change to Backtrack 5r1 this week and I must say I have had an awful lot of trouble since.

I have managed to struggle through most problems but I have been stuck on this one for some time, so much so I have not been posting here as much as I would normally like and that won’t do !!!!

My problem …

In Backtrack 4 I used to be able to copy the SVN of aircrack and save it to the desktop. I then opened the terminal in that directory and did, make then make install. Everything used to be so easy and it worked every time I upgraded.

Now when I have installed Backtrack 5r1 and tried to do the same I get errors and aircrack does not upgrade.

Here is what I get….

Code:
make -C src all
make[1]: Entering directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src'
make -C osdep
make[2]: Entering directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
Building for Linux
make[3]: Entering directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
make[3]: `.os.Linux' is up to date.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2022  -Iinclude   -c -o aircrack-ng.o aircrack-ng.c
In file included from aircrack-ng.c:65:
crypto.h:12:26: error: openssl/hmac.h: No such file or directory
crypto.h:13:25: error: openssl/sha.h: No such file or directory
crypto.h:15:25: error: openssl/rc4.h: No such file or directory
crypto.h:16:25: error: openssl/aes.h: No such file or directory
In file included from aircrack-ng.c:69:
sha1-sse2.h: In function ‘calc_4pmk’:
sha1-sse2.h:140: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘HMAC’
sha1-sse2.h:140: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘EVP_sha1’
aircrack-ng.c: In function ‘crack_wpa_thread’:
aircrack-ng.c:3979: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘EVP_md5’
make[1]: *** [aircrack-ng.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

make -C src install
make[1]: Entering directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src'
make -C osdep
make[2]: Entering directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
Building for Linux
make[3]: Entering directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2022  -Iinclude   -c -o aircrack-ng.o aircrack-ng.c
In file included from aircrack-ng.c:65:
In file included from aircrack-ng.c:69:
sha1-sse2.h: In function ‘calc_4pmk’:
sha1-sse2.h:140: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘HMAC’
sha1-sse2.h:140: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘EVP_sha1’
aircrack-ng.c: In function ‘crack_wpa_thread’:
aircrack-ng.c:3979: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘EVP_md5’
make[1]: *** [aircrack-ng.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng/src'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I have looked on the net and found many people having the same or similar problems. Unfortunately for me none of the fixes suggested seem to work and I don’t understand why. There was even a script posted here on this forum but it said I needed to comment out line 666 but that line number didn’t seem right to me and it didn’t work anyway.

I have downloaded many packages ssl lib’s open ssl etc and installed them all with no effect. I notice the error “openssl/aes.h: No such file or directory” but I have tried installing these and I would have thought they were already there as aircrack is pre installed in Backtrack 5 anyway.

I do have one additional complication and that is that I would like to be able to do this manually, meaning I would like to update everything myself without just connecting Backtrack to the internet.

Can some clever person please walk me through this ? I have made another fresh install of Backtrack 5r1 so I can start from a fresh. What do I need to download to be able to manually update aircrack ?

Thanks.
You're right, this isn't the right place to ask. Try backtrack forums, or even better, aircrack-ng forums.
OK fair enough, I just thought I would try here as I know more people here than on those sites. Sorry for posting it.
aircrack guys are actually really cool. so are the backtrack ones.

also apt-get install openssl-dev
(01-11-2012, 08:43 PM)radix Wrote: also apt-get install openssl-dev

Thanks for the tip but as I said I have already tried most usual suggestions to be found on this problem. I have been working on it for quite a while now, I just thought people here are a bit smarter than the norm which is why I asked on this forum.

I noticed someone else suggested the same here

But if you look further down someone else said…

Quote:I get the same error gblock described.
I have done "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade"
I did "sudo apt-get install openssl-dev" as well as for libssl. (openssl worked for me)
I still get the error.

So I cannot work out what is missing from backtrack 5 r1 that is present in Backtack 4.

Its driving me crazy and I can’t understand it. I also mentioned I would rather be able to install things manually rather than apt-get as I would like to learn and see what is actually happening. I don’t always have access to the internet so I like to keep installers on a flash drive.

I look for files here…

I don’t even know what all those names are, natty, lucid etc !!! What do I need for Backtrack 5 ? I thought it was mainly Ubuntu.

As I look round I see many people with this error but no fixes, well none that work for me anyway.

Do you have a link to the openssl-dev I need ? I have tried all the versions available on the Ubuntu packages site.

FWIW i got it to work on my install of BT5R1. i had to do apt-get remove aircrack-ng then install from source.
(01-12-2012, 01:20 AM)restrictedbytes Wrote: FWIW i got it to work on my install of BT5R1. i had to do apt-get remove aircrack-ng then install from source.

Hi restrictedbytes

Thank you very much for your help, this is really getting me down and I can’t seem to think of anything else at the moment ! ha ha!

I tried what you said and did “apt-get remove aircrack-ng” which did seem to remove it.

However when I try to use apt-get for anything else it just tries to connect to the internet which as I said earlier that computer doesn’t have.

How did you install from source ? I am having real problems with BT5 compared to BT4, I was getting quite good at installing things on BT4 but I have no such luck with BT5. I am starting to think I will have to go back to BT4 as it works much better for me.

I used to go here and get the latest build and then as mentioned above make and make install. BT5 just won’t do it.

Any tips on how you installed from source ? Smile
I followed the instructions here: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=i...rom_source
Smile
I moved away from BT4 because of the dead repos.
(01-12-2012, 03:51 AM)restrictedbytes Wrote: I followed the instructions here: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=i...rom_source
Smile
I moved away from BT4 because of the dead repos.

I have tried following that before, still not working for me.

When I read this I thought it was the answer to my problem.
Quote:If you get something similar to:

Solution: You are missing the OpenSSL development package. Depending on the distribution, download and install openssl-devel or libssl-devel (libssl-dev /Ubuntu/). Or worst case, install it from source: http://www.openssl.org.

But when I try to install libssl-dev it says its already installed !

I posted this problem on the aircrack forum last night only to find my post has been deleted !! So much for them being "really cool". Sad

I'm really stuck with this.
Code:
root@bt:~/Desktop/aircrack-ng# apt-get install libssl-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libucl1 upx-ucl
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libssl-dev
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,007kB of archives.
After this operation, 5,829kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/main libssl-dev 0.9.8k-7ubuntu8.6 [2,007kB]
Fetched 2,007kB in 5s (370kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libssl-dev.
(Reading database ... 235061 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libssl-dev (from .../libssl-dev_0.9.8k-7ubuntu8.6_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up libssl-dev (0.9.8k-7ubuntu8.6) ...
root@bt:~/Desktop/aircrack-ng# make
make -C src all
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/aircrack-ng/src'
make -C osdep
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
Building for Linux
make[3]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/aircrack-ng/src/osdep'
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o aircrack-ng.o aircrack-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o crypto.o crypto.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o common.o common.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o uniqueiv.o uniqueiv.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o aircrack-ptw-lib.o aircrack-ptw-lib.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  aircrack-ng.o crypto.o common.o uniqueiv.o aircrack-ptw-lib.o sha1-sse2.S -o aircrack-ng -lpthread -lssl -lcrypto
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o airdecap-ng.o airdecap-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  airdecap-ng.o crypto.o common.o -o airdecap-ng -lssl -lcrypto
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o packetforge-ng.o packetforge-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  packetforge-ng.o common.o crypto.o -o packetforge-ng -lssl -lcrypto
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o ivstools.o ivstools.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  ivstools.o common.o crypto.o uniqueiv.o -o ivstools -lssl -lcrypto
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o kstats.o kstats.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  kstats.o -o kstats
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o makeivs-ng.o makeivs-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  makeivs-ng.o common.o uniqueiv.o -o makeivs-ng
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o airdecloak-ng.o airdecloak-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  airdecloak-ng.o common.o osdep/radiotap/radiotap-parser.o -o airdecloak-ng
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o wpaclean.o wpaclean.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  wpaclean.o -o wpaclean -Losdep -losdep
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o besside-ng-crawler.o besside-ng-crawler.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  besside-ng-crawler.o -o besside-ng-crawler -lpcap
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o aireplay-ng.o aireplay-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  aireplay-ng.o common.o crypto.o -o aireplay-ng -Losdep -losdep  -lssl -lcrypto
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o airodump-ng.o airodump-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  airodump-ng.o common.o crypto.o uniqueiv.o -o airodump-ng -Losdep -losdep  -lssl -lcrypto -lpthread
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o airserv-ng.o airserv-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  airserv-ng.o common.o -o airserv-ng -Losdep -losdep
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o airtun-ng.o airtun-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  airtun-ng.o common.o crypto.o -o airtun-ng -Losdep -losdep  -lssl -lcrypto
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o airbase-ng.o airbase-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  airbase-ng.o common.o crypto.o -o airbase-ng -Losdep -losdep  -lssl -lcrypto -lpthread
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude   -c -o besside-ng.o besside-ng.c
gcc -g -W -Wall -O3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REVISION=2029  -Iinclude  besside-ng.o crypto.c common.o aircrack-ptw-lib.o -o besside-ng -Losdep -losdep  -lssl -lcrypto -lz
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/aircrack-ng/src'
root@bt:~/Desktop/aircrack-ng#

It works just fine. Also closing this since I guess you didn't get the hint the first time.