hashcat Forum

Full Version: Struggling with syntax for brute force mask
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, first time attempting something like this 

Am currently locked out of an MS Office 2010 document that is encrypted with a password 

I managed to install The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux and use a Python script to get the hash from the document. ($office$*2010*100000*128*16) hash mode 9500. 

I ran hashcat using hash mode 9500 and a dictionary attack using rockyou.txt word list. 

Unfortunately this did not find the password, so I tried to do brute force instead. But the password is likely to be quite long. We think 9 or 10 characters. this will take weeks with my hardware, so I would like to use a mask to reduce the running time. 

What we know:
The password is likely to contain one or two of these 3 words/numbers: review, contract, 2018
The order/position of the word(s)/numbers is unknown
The casing of the words is unknown
It is unlikely that there will be any special characters outside alphabet letters and numbers 2018

I have been reading the documentation on masks but haven't been able to write one in a way that catches everything in my criteria. Is anyone able to help? Many thanks in advance
i think you are looking more for combinator attack + rules, if you really want to use mask -> maskfile you have to generate a really huge maskfile like this

maskfiles work linebased, each line is one mask 4 customcharset possible, devided by , so
CS1,MASK
?l?u?d,?1review
means prepend 1 lower or upper or digit before review
?l?u?d,?1?1review
means prepend 2 lower or upper or digit (mixed) before review

just for review
maskfile
Code:
?l?u?d,?1review
?l?u?d,?1?1review
?l?u?d,?1?1?1review
?l?u?d,?1?1?1?1review

?l?u?d,review?1
?l?u?d,review?1?1
?l?u?d,review?1?1?1
?l?u?d,review?1?1?1?1

?l?u?d,?1Review
?l?u?d,?1?1Review
?l?u?d,?1?1?1Review
?l?u?d,?1?1?1?1Review

?l?u?d,Review?1
?l?u?d,Review?1?1
?l?u?d,Review?1?1?1
?l?u?d,Review?1?1?1?1

you will see this will be quite a really huge task to build up these maskfile, but you can use hashcat utils to help you a little

try the following
testdic (i assume no real mixing of upper lower inside one word, if you want this too, you have to add this)
Code:
review
Review
REVIEW
contract
Contract
CONTRACT

combinator testdic testdic > testdic2
combinator3 testdic testdic testdic > testdic3

cat testdic testdic2 testdic3 > fulldic

this will give you all combinations from these words, with this list you could start building up your maskfile

i would use a good editor like sublime text where you can edit multiple lines (str+alt) in one step

or you can try fulldic with rules (this should be a fast run, so i would start with this anyway) -a0 -r dive.rule
(03-22-2022, 08:28 PM)Snoopy Wrote: [ -> ]i think you are looking more for combinator attack + rules, if you really want to use mask -> maskfile you have to generate a really huge maskfile like this

maskfiles work linebased, each line is one mask 4 customcharset possible, devided by , so
CS1,MASK
?l?u?d,?1review
means prepend 1 lower or upper or digit before review
?l?u?d,?1?1review
means prepend 2 lower or upper or digit (mixed) before review

just for review
maskfile
Code:
?l?u?d,?1review
?l?u?d,?1?1review
?l?u?d,?1?1?1review
?l?u?d,?1?1?1?1review

?l?u?d,review?1
?l?u?d,review?1?1
?l?u?d,review?1?1?1
?l?u?d,review?1?1?1?1

?l?u?d,?1Review
?l?u?d,?1?1Review
?l?u?d,?1?1?1Review
?l?u?d,?1?1?1?1Review

?l?u?d,Review?1
?l?u?d,Review?1?1
?l?u?d,Review?1?1?1
?l?u?d,Review?1?1?1?1

you will see this will be quite a really huge task to build up these maskfile, but you can use hashcat utils to help you a little

try the following
testdic (i assume no real mixing of upper lower inside one word, if you want this too, you have to add this)
Code:
review
Review
REVIEW
contract
Contract
CONTRACT

combinator testdic testdic > testdic2
combinator3 testdic testdic testdic > testdic3

cat testdic testdic2 testdic3 > fulldic

this will give you all combinations from these words, with this list you could start building up your maskfile

i would use a good editor like sublime text where you can edit multiple lines (str+alt) in one step

or you can try fulldic with rules (this should be a fast run, so i would start with this anyway) -a0 -r dive.rule

thank you for taking the time to write this, you went into a lot more detail than i would have expected from someone on a free forum. i really appreciate it. you've certainly given me a point in the right direction and i'm going to experiment with your suggestions. thanks again!
i'm in! combinator attack using a dictionary i created using your suggestion did the trick in a matter of seconds. thanks so much!