hashcat Forum

Full Version: Help me pick a GPU for my setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, first time poster here and I've read the forum rules.

I'm about to splash out on a new GPU and was hoping for a little advice. I'm not building a dedicated cracking rig. This is my main desktop, and cracking hashes is just a side hobby.

I'll be cracking WPA hashes on my 24 core / 48Gb Debian system in a Dell Precision 7810. I already have a Quadro M4000 GPU which I have working with Hashcat without issue. Benchmarks have it around 100K/sec.

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and have a budget of around $1200.

A bit over budget, but would the MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Ti GAMING TRIO 24G be a good candidate? https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-GAMIN...B09Q315PGB

From what I understand the 3080s offer a better bang for your buck, but as I only plaan to have one GPU (no plans to add more), I'm thinking I'll be better off with the 3090.

Although the 3090 is over my budget, I'd still consider it if it's worthwhile. If not the 3090, are there any other good GPU that you'd recommend for my setup?

Thanks in advance!
I'd suggest sticking to a 3080TI. In my experience the 3090's are power hogs and run significantly hotter than the 3080's. There is also the fact that the 4000 series is around the corner but if you're in the market now than no point delaying your purchase.

3080TI benchmark
https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-10154.html

3090 benchmark
https://gist.github.com/Chick3nman/e4fce...2106d73fef
Thanks slyexe. I realize these are noob questions, but appreciate you helping out.

I see there's a ton of different 3080TI cards on Amazon, only some mentioning NVIDIA. As I'm using NVIDIA driver, do I need to pick one of those? What's the differences between the different 3080TI cards, and does it matter from a cracking point of view?
(08-21-2022, 08:40 PM)Walter Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks slyexe. I realize these are noob questions, but appreciate you helping out.

I see there's a ton of different 3080TI cards on Amazon, only some mentioning NVIDIA. As I'm using NVIDIA driver, do I need to pick one of those? What's the differences between the different 3080TI cards, and does it matter from a cracking point of view?
All 3080TI are Nvidia cards and will use the same driver, the manufacturer will only be different. I have several EVGA 3080TI and they are among the best for maintaining their temps compared to other brands such as ASUS & MSI in my opinion. The difference between them would be their base core clock speed & style of cooler which would have slight alterations to your hashing speed. In the relation to core clock between cards it will be so significantly small that you'd most likely be cutting a few seconds off each hashcat session and in your case, being a hobby, wouldn't really be critical. 

I would also suggest checking your local PC parts store or online marketplace (fbook, craigslist, etc) as now that the market is flooded with 3000 series cards you may be able to snag one below MSRP pretty easily.
This is fascinating stuff. I'd never had a proper GPU before, and this PC I got recently came with a basic Quadro M4000 GPU that gave me an opportunity to play with Hashcat. I spent an enjoyable evening googling, installing drivers then playing with mask attacks, watching my hashrate and GPU temperature etc. Now I want a more powerful GPU to play with rule sets, wordlists and delve deeper into this. Definitely gotten the bug Smile

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll keep looking at the 3080Ti. I just need to look into the PSU side of things now. Pins, cables, space, Watts. Appreciate the advice, I'll let you know how it goes!
(08-21-2022, 06:46 PM)Walter Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, first time poster here and I've read the forum rules.

I'm about to splash out on a new GPU and was hoping for a little advice. I'm not building a dedicated cracking rig. This is my main desktop, and cracking hashes is just a side hobby.

I'll be cracking WPA hashes on my 24 core / 48Gb Debian system in a Dell Precision 7810. I already have a Quadro M4000 GPU which I have working with Hashcat without issue. Benchmarks have it around 100K/sec.

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and have a budget of around $1200.

A bit over budget, but would the MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Ti GAMING TRIO 24G be a good candidate? https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-GAMIN...B09Q315PGB

From what I understand the 3080s offer a better bang for your buck, but as I only plaan to have one GPU (no plans to add more), I'm thinking I'll be better off with the 3090.

Although the 3090 is over my budget, I'd still consider it if it's worthwhile. If not the 3090, are there any other good GPU that you'd recommend for my setup?

Thanks in advance!

6800 xts have been going on sale well and work better in linux... but im guessing your not looking for an amd card bc ur cracking wpa
So after a lot of research, the 3080ti just isn't going to work inside my Dell Precision 7810. Upgrading the PSU isn't an option as Dell use dumb bespoke models.

I'm not looking into risers, and keeping the 3080ti externally. This would also give me the option to add more if and when I want to.

My current thoughts are using a riser and seperate PSU. I'm still researching, but do you have any thoughts on that?
(08-27-2022, 09:30 PM)Walter Wrote: [ -> ]My current thoughts are using a riser and seperate PSU. I'm still researching, but do you have any thoughts on that?

This will be fine, just note that each card will require a PCIE connector to power the riser as well. So as for the 3080 Ti it has 3 ports itself + 1 additional for the riser. Most desktop computer PSU's are very limited on PCIE cables so looking into buying a server power supply & breakout board is much more cost efficient and provides many more PCIE cables. 

A typical setup for a crypto rig is very similar. Motherboard & components have their own PSU which provides the basics with power & a server power supply provides power to all the video cards & risers. 

If you're interested in knowing which server PSU's are commonly used for breakout boards just lookup parallel miner, they have all the components I've discussed.  Otherwise for a single card you could also just purchase a 700-1000w PSU and it would be adequate in the same scenario provided it has sufficient PCIE cables included.
(08-29-2022, 03:43 PM)slyexe Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2022, 09:30 PM)Walter Wrote: [ -> ]My current thoughts are using a riser and seperate PSU. I'm still researching, but do you have any thoughts on that?

This will be fine, just note that each card will require a PCIE connector to power the riser as well. So as for the 3080 Ti it has 3 ports itself + 1 additional for the riser. Most desktop computer PSU's are very limited on PCIE cables so looking into buying a server power supply & breakout board is much more cost efficient and provides many more PCIE cables. 

A typical setup for a crypto rig is very similar. Motherboard & components have their own PSU which provides the basics with power & a server power supply provides power to all the video cards & risers. 

If you're interested in knowing which server PSU's are commonly used for breakout boards just lookup parallel miner, they have all the components I've discussed.  Otherwise for a single card you could also just purchase a 700-1000w PSU and it would be adequate in the same scenario provided it has sufficient PCIE cables included.

How to install 2*3080ti, how much power is needed? thanks
(09-13-2022, 06:01 AM)ly88888 Wrote: [ -> ]How to install 2*3080ti, how much power is needed? thanks

Just pop them directly on the motherboard PCIE lanes and connect power. Each will draw roughly 350W so you'd need probably a 1000W PSU with 6 PCIE connectors.
Pages: 1 2