hashcat Forum

Full Version: Burned wire with hashcat Radeon 5600xt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When they say you need hardware for hashcat they actually mean that. Somebody took pity on my poor soul yesterday on the internet and gave me an AMD Radeon 5600xt for free. I knew I had half a rig already at home so put it to the test with a cheap cable adapter I had from ebay. The power supply is also cheap and old 500W. 

If I go in with -w 3, for a 22000 hash, it crashes the whole rig from the power draw so me reading what other people posted that you are ok with even a 450W well... guess again. If I use the PC for regular operations everything is alright. 

So word to the wise, if you get a new rig physically supervise it and I mean eyes on it or you risk burning down your house. Use at least a 750W power supply for one card and at least 1000W for two GPUs. Forget about those psu calculators on the internet, learn from my mistakes, those are not made for hashcat. If you plan to use hashcat bring a gun to a gun fight not a fork. Hashcat puts tremendous pressure on all your hardware unlike anything I've ever seen. Forget Escape from Tarkov and all the other junk, hashcat is very, very GPU intensive, if you don't have powerfull enough equipment don't try it[attachment=1023][attachment=1024]. I attached some pics of the burnt cable.
Exactly yes for such work you need a good branded power supply and adequate power.
Also go for liquid cooling if you can afford it. I have a 1080ti hybrid in another rig which goes at 640kh/s without breaking over 50 Celsius. And it runs for days in a row. The fan on the radiator is set to bring air inside the case. This 5600xt ran for about two minutes before I smelled the burning cable and it went from 27C to around 88C in a matter of minutes. True the case is really, really poor on ventilation but as a general idea my experience was 20C less on water cooled GPUs vs air.