hashcat Forum

Full Version: hashcat / GPU / macOS High Sierra
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to run hashcat using an older Mac Pro I have. It has 12 CPU cores so running it in CPU mode works, but it's working at a speed that is going to wake WAYY too long to succeed. 

This very same Mac Pro has an RX480 8GB in it, a pretty decent card. Definitely way better than all my other machines, that all have intel integrated graphics. 

But alas, when I try to use the GPU, I get errors about:
"Outdated or broken Apple OpenCL driver '1.2' detected!"

Is there a solution for this? Are there AMD OpenCL drivers I can install? Or a way to run Hashcat on Metal? Or something else? 

Or am I just S.O.L.? I know I could try installing windows on this machine but that could that would be such a time consuming hassle, I feel like I'm probably better off just using hashcat slowly on CPU. But using it on the RX480 on macOS would be ideal!
You have to tell hashcat which device to use (-d). On my MacBook Pro with RX5500 this is device #3. Check with hashcat -I the number of your GPU and then address it:
hashcat -D1,2 -d3
Yes that's what I'm doing but depending on the context, I'm getting the error above, or I'm getting this error:

Unsupported Apple Metal runtime version '125.30' detected! Falling back to OpenCL...

But then it says No devices found.
It also says "See hashcat.net for officially supported Apple OpenCL drivers." but I'm not seeing any apple opencl drivers on hashcat.net :/
I think metal is only suppoerted since macOS13, so you have to use OpenCL.
I think I once  had hashcat with High Sierra on this MAcBook Pro with OpenCL running. Apple does not support OpenCL anymore, so maybe you try an older version of hashcat, I do not remember which one it was but for sure not 6.
what does hashcat -I tells?

is your card recognized by metal

according to this thread metal can be used but is skipped for opencl, which in your case is broken
https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-11702-post-59586.html

As long as you cannot update the broken opencl driver (newer macos or via homebrew) and your card is not recognized by metal api, yeah seems bad
(11-29-2023, 01:39 PM)Snoopy Wrote: [ -> ]what does hashcat -I tells?

Quote:hashcat (v6.2.6-846-g4d412c8e0) starting in backend information mode

Unsupported Apple Metal runtime version '125.30' detected! Falling back to OpenCL...

* Device #2: This device's local mem size is too small.

OpenCL Info:
============

OpenCL Platform ID #1
  Vendor..: Apple
  Name....: Apple
  Version.: OpenCL 1.2 (May  7 2020 00:10:14)

Backend Device ID #1
    Type...........: CPU
    Vendor.ID......: 8
    Vendor.........: Intel
    Name...........: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5680  @ 3.33GHz
    Version........: OpenCL 1.2 
    Processor(s)...: 12
    Clock..........: 3330
    Memory.Total...: 32768 MB (limited to 4096 MB allocatable in one block)
    Memory.Free....: 16352 MB
    Local.Memory...: 32 KB
    OpenCL.Version.: OpenCL C 1.2 
    Driver.Version.: 1.1

Backend Device ID #2
    Type...........: GPU
    Vendor.ID......: 32
    Vendor.........: NVIDIA
    Name...........: GeForce GT 120
    Version........: OpenCL 1.0 
    Processor(s)...: 4
    Clock..........: 1400
    Memory.Total...: 512 MB (limited to 128 MB allocatable in one block)
    Memory.Free....: 384 MB
    Local.Memory...: 16 KB
    OpenCL.Version.: OpenCL C 1.0 
    Driver.Version.: 10.4.14 310.90.30.05b27

Backend Device ID #3
    Type...........: GPU
    Vendor.ID......: 1
    Vendor.........: AMD
    Name...........: AMD Radeon RX 480 Compute Engine
    Version........: OpenCL 1.2 
    Processor(s)...: 36
    Clock..........: 1291
    Memory.Total...: 8192 MB (limited to 2048 MB allocatable in one block)
    Memory.Free....: 1920 MB
    Local.Memory...: 32 KB
    OpenCL.Version.: OpenCL C 1.2 
    Driver.Version.: 1.2 (Oct 30 2020 14:22:17)

Obviously the RX480 is the one I want to use, not the nvidia.
(11-29-2023, 01:38 PM)ManuB1G Wrote: [ -> ]I think metal is only suppoerted since macOS13, so you have to use OpenCL.
I think I once  had hashcat with High Sierra on this MAcBook Pro with OpenCL running. Apple does not support OpenCL anymore, so maybe you try an older version of hashcat, I do not remember which one it was but for sure not 6.

Where might one find older versions of hashcat? High Sierra was 2017 to 2018, so a version from 2018 should do the trick if you are remembering correctly. As long as the 2018 version supports -m16700 aka filevault.

EDIT: found old versions, running 5.1 now and it does appear to be running on my GPU. I'll know more in a minute. The benchmark was about 26x faster than the CPU benchmark Smile Makes me wish I put two RX480's in this Mac Pro, which was my original plan Big Grin

EDIT EDIT: From 70 day ETA via CPU, to 3 day ETA via GPU. The fan volume is going to be annoying but it's also going to be very short lived so I can deal with it.
Sounds good!
How many H/s does the RX480 make on 16700?
In my experience, all the 16700 benchmarks are reliably about 5x faster than real life cracking. So the actual speed is about 4100h/s. And it benchmarks at about 20000h/s. Not the fastest thing in the world but fast enough to get the job done. Thinking about adding an RX460 to the mix. That should add about another 2000h/s while only costing $30 maybe.
Pages: 1 2