hashcat Forum

Full Version: Hashcat Low Speed Value
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to crack a bitcoin wallet on my The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) which is installed on vm
It has 32 cpu, 8 cores, 2TB disk space, 64 gb RAM
(I know gpu is faster but what to do..)

my "hashcat -b" output is as bellow

Code:
OpenCL API (OpenCL 3.0 PoCL 4.0+debian Linux, None+Asserts, RELOC, SPIR, LLVM 15.0.7, SLEEF, DISTRO, POCL_DEBUG) - Platform #1 [The pocl project]
=====================================================
Device #1: cpu-haswell-Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-260 v4 @ 2.10GHz, 31139/62343 MB (8192 mb allocatable), 32MCU

also
Code:
$nproc

in VM
Scheduling Affinity : Hyperthreading Status: Active
Available CPUs: 32
0-31 (Selected)

however when I run
Code:
sudo hashcat -a3 -m11300 -w4 hash.txt ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a -o output.txt

It just allocates 8 mb and in paranthesis it says (8192 mb allocatable)
and speed is 332 H/s

if I add -S to command it allocates 42 mb and speed rises to 450 H/s
I know that since wallets don't let you have gigantic speed, Im quite suspicious that Im doing smth wrong since even if I add resource speed doesn't increase at all.
Its last version of The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) and up-to-date
you could run

hashcat -b -m11300

to see your "theoretical" maximum hashrate for this mode, but i assume there will be not so much difference
Run it outside the VM and you'll be able to use your GPU, which will almost certainly be faster. Also, you'll want to use a wordlist attack (-a 0) instead of bruteforce (-a 3)