hashcat Forum

Full Version: Trouble getting started
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, this is my first time using anything like that hashcat, and while I would say I'm tech savvy, I am by no means an expert and am just barely getting started in learning how to program, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.  I'm trying to run my first mask but keep getting an error.  

Here is my command:  hashcat.exe -m 13000 -a 0 hash.txt -r rules.txt ?u?l?l?l?l?l?l?l

And here is the error: ?u?l?l?l?l?l?l?l: Invalid argument

Why is this invalid?  Aren't these character sets native to hashcat?  What am I doing wrong? 

Thank you!
(04-06-2024, 12:20 AM)AdrianeS Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, this is my first time using anything like that hashcat, and while I would say I'm tech savvy, I am by no means an expert and am just barely getting started in learning how to program, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.  I'm trying to run my first mask but keep getting an error.  

Here is my command:  hashcat.exe -m 13000 -a 0 hash.txt -r rules.txt ?u?l?l?l?l?l?l?l

And here is the error: ?u?l?l?l?l?l?l?l: Invalid argument

Why is this invalid?  Aren't these character sets native to hashcat?  What am I doing wrong? 

Thank you!

-a 0 is a wordlist attack, but you have supplied a mask instead. Mask attack is -a 3. Also, rules can't be used with masks.