hashcat Forum

Full Version: Some general Hashcat questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to using anything other than the age old Cain and Abel. Trying out Hashcat to crack 2 Domain Cached Credential hashes. I know the passwords are between 5 and 10 characters, any combo, so I'm brute forcing with a full charset. This is a proof of concept that current password requirements are pretty weak in our organization.

Code:
Charset...: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789! #$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[]^_`{|}~
Length....: 6
Index.....: 0/1 (segment), 646990183449 (words), 0 (bytes)
Recovered.: 0/2 hashes, 0/2 salts
Speed/sec.: - plains, 6.09M words
Progress..: 358326825860/646990183449 (55.38%)
Running...: 00:16:21:16
Estimated.: 00:13:10:29

That's my current output.

Questions:
I assume that it's testing 6.09 million words per second, correct?

Looking over at this thread: http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-21.html I see the benchmark speeds and am amazed.

Code:
Speed.GPU1: 820.99M/s
Speed.GPU*: 820.99M/s

Is that million per second, or thousand per second?

I understand that MD5 is probably a lot faster than DCC (domain cached creds) I'm just trying to get an understanding on this process.
Bruteforcing DCC using CPU is really old school, ancient school I may say.
OpenCLHashcat supports DCC.
You'll have better speeds on GPU.

That's millions p/s.
Well, I quit gaming about 5 years ago and quit paying attention to video cards over 40 or so dollars. Smile Now it seems like I should go get one in the 150 dollar price range and I'd probably be slobbering all over the results.

Kind of hard to believe... 6 to 820 million per second? Phew.
You're comparing MD5 on GPU to DCC on 2 core CPU.
Kind of wrong.
Check my bench to see more light.