hashcat Forum

Full Version: Interpreting some unlikely results.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
G'day.

So, I got a bunch of hashes. I ran them few a few hundred million words with no success. After brute-forcing with a mask of ?1?1?1?1?1?1 and a charset of ?l?d?u

Then I get:
Code:
Status.......: Cracked
Input.Mode...: Mask (?1?1?1?1?1?1)
Hash.Type....: MD5
Time.Running.: 2 mins, 56 secs
Time.Util....: 176879.6ms/4584.3ms Real/CPU, 2.7% idle
Speed........:   320.9M c/s Real,   340.8M c/s GPU
Recovered....: 451/451 Digests, 1/1 Salts
Progress.....: 56759746560/56800235584 (99.93%)
Rejected.....: 0/56759746560 (0.00%)
HW.Monitor.#1:  0% GPU, 79c Temp

The passwords look pseudo-random, and not like something a human would choose. I could understand an organization using forced passwords.
If I MD5 the passwords, it gives the hash, so it appears as though I guessed the exact password scheme for this group of passwords. I find this all unlikely.

Is it possible the hashes use a different algorithm which would give useless, but accurate results when decrypted with the incorrect algorithm. I think this is probably obtuse, but I'm trying to disprove the results.

Thanks.
So...

You used the MD5 algorithm cracking, it found plains that, when hashed, lead to the original hash you were testing?

I think the tool is working fine.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that another hash algorithm would generate valid MD5s for a password-ish sequence of bytes.

Alternately, the leaked list was generated seeded with fake passwords. *shrug*