hashcat Forum

Full Version: hashcat working on by far more passwords than wordlist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok so even if i give hashcat a wordlist with 6 lines it reports having 719,454 and takes about 1 min to finish now when i combine a list with lines in the millions with a rule file it becomes impossible i.e. over 2-10 years time left some of these with lines+rule and the rate as a factor should only take at most a couple of minutes and yet its reporting two years and a mass amount of combo's that should not even be there.

so bottom line how do i get hashcat to ONLY process what is in a wordlist, and if everyone thinks "it does that" its not because its impossible for a 6 line wordlist to take 1 min at over 10,000 c/s
Hi,

can you post :
- hashcat version
- cmdline
- link for download wordlist (you can put on pastebin for example)

?

Thank you.

(09-08-2012, 03:20 AM)Think_alien Wrote: [ -> ]ok so even if i give hashcat a wordlist with 6 lines it reports having 719,454 and takes about 1 min to finish now when i combine a list with lines in the millions with a rule file it becomes impossible i.e. over 2-10 years time left some of these with lines+rule and the rate as a factor should only take at most a couple of minutes and yet its reporting two years and a mass amount of combo's that should not even be there.

so bottom line how do i get hashcat to ONLY process what is in a wordlist, and if everyone thinks "it does that" its not because its impossible for a 6 line wordlist to take 1 min at over 10,000 c/s
it would be helpful if you posted the exact command line you are using, as well as the output from hashcat.
hashcat is the latest GUI version it does this regardless of commands or wordlist if its a common problem with hastcat you can simply type in 6 lines of text to a wordlist and run it watch it say over 700,000

if its really just me how would i go about fixing this because it goes over a mass amount of extra lines no matter how many are actually in the list.

im using oclhashcat plus with my 7970 and driver version 12.8
post the command line or a screenshot of the gui with all your options.