hashcat Forum

Full Version: hashcat combination attack odd even difference
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Combination attack in hashcat-cli64.exe -a 1 v0.46 acts differently with an odd number of words vs. even?

Edited: It's more complicated than that.
I'm getting single words in the output, not combinations, sometimes just once, and others more than once.

Can the programmers check if the combination attack is working properly?
hashcat's (CPU) combinator mode works with single dictionaries, not 2. you can check the generated candidates with --stdout. If you find it's not doing what it should do, please let me know.
Yes, I'm getting just single words interspersed with the combinations.

At first I though it had to do with the word list having an odd or even number of words, but that only seems to affect whether a non-combined word is repeated one or many times.
sometimes it looks like its doing just single words it can occour in cases you have empty lines in your dictionary. it also can occour when you have words in your dictionary that are to long for hashcat to parse. in that case, it skips them which then will change the total number of combinations. you can use the len.bin utility in hashcat-utils for example to make sure yyour dictionary contains only words of length 4-8 and then try it again.
I'm using hand-typed lists of five, six, seven words of four to six characters in length.
The number of words in the stdout file is higher than the number of input words squared.
Wondering if it was the old -n 1 race problem again, I tried it with and without but got the same result.

antbatcatdogegg.txt
-------------------------
ant
bat
cat
dog
egg

hashcat-cli64.exe --stdout -a 1 ..\dicts\antbatcatdogegg.txt > mangles\mangles.txt

antant
antbat
antcat
antdog
antegg
ant
ant
ant
batant
batbat
batcat
batdog
bategg
bat
bat
bat
catant
catbat
catcat
catdog
categg
cat
cat
cat
dogant
dogbat
dogcat
dogdog
dogegg
dog
dog
dog
eggant
eggbat
eggcat
eggdog
eggegg
egg
egg
egg
Are you sure that you don't have some empty lines at the end of your word file?
I've confirmed that it does the same on my system under Linux, and there are no blank lines.

000000 616e 740a 6261 740a 6361 740a 646f 670a ant.bat.cat.dog.
000010 6567 670a egg.
I know an older version of hashcat had this problem. You sure you have the latest one?
./hashcat -V
sum hashcat
48942 778

I think that is current.
Pages: 1 2