hashcat Forum

Full Version: Linux Driver Installation Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning.

I'm building up a 4 GPU cracking system for our team. Tyan barebones, 4 GTX 770s, etc.

In my previous life, I was a Windows admin, and my Linux skills are still pretty weak. Our team lead thought this would be a good project for me to brush up on Linux skills. I'm popping Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server onto the system this afternoon. My question is what nVidia drivers and packages do I need to install for oclHashCat to function properly? Not versions, I got that, but do I just need the nVidia display drivers, or do I need to set up CUDA 5.5 as well? Are there any other packages and dependencies I should install first? Is there anything I need to remove besides nouveau?

Thanks.
Nvidia for hash cracking? Any advantages comparing to AMD?
(12-20-2013, 04:08 PM)Wushu Wrote: [ -> ]Good morning.

I'm building up a 4 GPU cracking system for our team. Tyan barebones, 4 GTX 770s, etc.

In my previous life, I was a Windows admin, and my Linux skills are still pretty weak. Our team lead thought this would be a good project for me to brush up on Linux skills. I'm popping Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server onto the system this afternoon. My question is what nVidia drivers and packages do I need to install for oclHashCat to function properly? Not versions, I got that, but do I just need the nVidia display drivers, or do I need to set up CUDA 5.5 as well? Are there any other packages and dependencies I should install first? Is there anything I need to remove besides nouveau?

Thanks.

Grab the latest driver and latest oclHashcat. Install the driver, reboot, unpack hashcat and you should be good to go.
Thanks radix.

KT, not really, if I was going just for speed. This machine is for our team of very busy testers, and none of us have a lot of downtime for maintenance. We have a single AMD GPU at the moment, and we've had to really troubleshoot the system a number of times due to driver issues. Personally, as a gamer in my off hours, I feel the nVidia drivers tend to be less prone to issues and easier to get set up. Plus, I should still be able to brute force the entire 8 char NTLM space within a few days, and NTLM makes up about 75% of the hashes we typically crack. So when we designed the new system, we went with nVidia to increase reliability. That, and we got a deal on 4 eVGA GTX 770s. If speed were of the utmost importance, I'd have gone with AMD.