hashcat Forum

Full Version: Cracking spammer hashes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, not sure if this is something allowed on the forums so if not feel free to delete it. Given the oclGaussCrack efforts I thought people might be open to it.

I have been doing some research on spammers and their infrastructure, and I have come across a few web shells they are using to access compromised boxes. These web shells use MD5 auth, with the hash embedded in the shell.

I have taken a shot at cracking these, but so far unsuccessfully. If people are amenable to this sort of thing I can post the hashes from the shells I've found.
Why don't you modify the shells to email you the password as soon as someone logs into it?
(10-22-2014, 09:23 PM)undeath Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you modify the shells to email you the password as soon as someone logs into it?

Smile yes I have had similar thoughts, however these are not my machines; they are compromised sites that have been made to serve spam/phishing sites. While I almost certainly could get access to these machines the same way that the spammers did to make such a change, I believe doing so would be illegal, and as such I have refrained.