hashcat Forum

Full Version: Can someone confirm this command?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought this command would find all passwords 8-10 characters that matched my custom charset, but it did not.

./cudaHashcat64.bin -m 1000 -a 3 -t 60 --outfile=../cracked --custom-charset1=?l?u?d\!\@\#\$\%\^\&\* -i --increment-min=8 --increment-max=10 --session windows --restore ../windows-hashcat-format.txt ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Rich
don't know what your hardware is but you'll probably be dead before it finishes.
The mask, in your case ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 must be at least the length specified by --increment-max (or longer).
How else would oclHashcat know what it should do after the position @ end of mask

Your mask ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 is of length 8.
But at the same time you specified --increment-max 10 (this can't work!).

How to fix: use a long enought mask, that includes the full range from the length specified by --increment-min and --increment-max
For instance:
-a 3 -1 '?l?u?d!@#$%^&*' -i --increment-min 8 ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1

As you can see here, you can skip the --increment-max in some cases, since maximum mask length (and hence --increment-max) is implied and limited by the mask length itself.

P.S. You say "this command would find all passwords 8-10 characters that matched my custom charset", but this is not true since -t 60 will not "find all", since you apply this particular markov threshold.
Thanks. I was wondering what it did for the extra 2 characters. It took the command and ran. What did it do? Just run the 8 characters?