hashcat Forum

Full Version: Another one tries to build a Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone,

after playing around with my little oclHashcat Box for a while now, I've considered to build a Box thats a little bit more powerful (The one I use right now is equipped with an Athlon II X4, a R9 270 Dual-X and a HD5850 Toxic). As this would be a Budget Build any Suggestions for alternative Components would be highly appreciated.

Here is the Setup that I had in Mind based on what I've read so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440
Board: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC
RAM: Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3-1600
PSU: Enermax Platimax 1500W
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
GPUs: 4x XFX R9 280X Dual Fan Black
Additional FANs: 2x Corsair Air Series AF140

My main Concern is the Heat of the GPUs and if the Cooling/Airstream will be sufficient while they're stacked so close together. Or should I build a Custom Case with PCIe Risercards and leave more Space between the Cards?

Thanks in Advance!
I'd HIGHLY recommend the GTX 980 over the 280X, especially since the 280X is not available in reference design and you WILL have massive cooling problems using 4x OEM-design cards that close together inside a chassis.
@epixoip

Thanks for your Reply! Wouldn't it be more Cost Efficient to use two or three R9 290X instead of the 280X? From a personal Prospective I'd like nothing more than to use the GTX980 but the Cards Pricetag is damn high compared to the AMD Cards and I fear that my Budget would allow me to only buy two of the GTX980 which should be significantly slower then three R9 290X, right?

What I've seen so far the PowerColor Radeon R9 290X is a Reference Model and costs ~300€ where as the GTX980 costs ~500€.

Please correct me if I'm on the wrong Track ;-)
You can go with 290X if you'd like, sure.
@epixoip

Thanks again! That helped a lot! Three R9 290X in Reference Design it is then Smile