hashcat Forum

Full Version: Help with speed question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using CPU Hashcat v0.48 and there are a few queries i would like to raise.

I have been searching online but didnt really understand the explanations.

Input.Mode: Dict (wordlist.txt)
Index.....: 1/3 (segment), 1014124 (words), 6787879 (bytes)
Recovered.: 3/2500 hashes, 0/1 salts
Speed/sec.: 64.76M plains, 847.65k words
Progress..: 101/101 (100.00%)
Running...: --:--:--:12
Estimated.: --:--:--:--

Can i understand what does plains and words means?

64.76M == 64.76 million hashes generated or compared to the list per second

How about the 847.65k words
In this context, "words" is the number of words from wordlist.txt that are being hashed per second, and "plains" is the number of actual plaintext candidates that are being hashed per second.

For a straight dictionary attack against a raw hash algorithm, these numbers will be equal. Yours aren't equal because it looks like you are doing a rule-based attack -- probably wordlist.txt + best64.rule based on the numbers, 64760000 / 847650 =~ 76.4 and best64.rule has 78 rules.
(01-06-2015, 04:58 AM)epixoip Wrote: [ -> ]In this context, "words" is the number of words from wordlist.txt that are being hashed per second, and "plains" is the number of actual plaintext candidates that are being hashed per second.

For a straight dictionary attack against a raw hash algorithm, these numbers will be equal. Yours aren't equal because it looks like you are doing a rule-based attack -- probably wordlist.txt + best64.rule based on the numbers, 64760000 / 847650 =~ 76.4 and best64.rule has 78 rules.

Yes i am using a best64 rule. could you explain more on the number of words being hashed per second and the plains being hashed per second. Yes i am using a rule based attack.

Say i am trying to find out the number of hashes generated per second. How do i go about calculating it?

Sorry didnt really understand your explanation.
Your speed is 64.76 MH/s -- that's the "plains." And "words" how many words from your wordlist you are going through per second.

If you were doing a straight wordlist attack, both "plains" and "words" would be 64.76 MH/s. But you are using best64.rule which has 78 rules, so each word from your wordlist has to be re-hashed 78 times with 78 different rules. Therefore your rule-based attack will be 78x slower than a straight dictionary attack, meaning you will move through your wordlist at 1/78th the speed of a straight dictionary attack. That's why "words" is ~78x less than "plains" in this instance.
Thanks. It was super informative. Any way to like the post?