hashcat Forum

Full Version: Adding to .pot file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are sources of newly cracked hashes:passwords. It seems that it would be a time saver to save these hashes:passwords in the .pot file as the work has already been done finding these hash:password pairs. 

Is this a wise or good thing to do? Your thoughts?
There may be other ways, but quitting and restoring the hashcat session will reread the pot file.
(11-29-2015, 08:02 PM)royce Wrote: [ -> ]There may be other ways, but quitting and restoring the hashcat session will reread the pot file.

Royce:

Thank you for your reply. Let me restate. There are other sites that post cracked hash:password sets. Others have already done the heavy lifting. Wouldn't it be a time saver to take these hash:password sets and add them to one's .pot file? Isn't this essentially adding passwords to one's dictionary?
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant after a cracking run had started, but it sounds like you're talking about doing this before your initial cracking run begins. That's much easier! Yes, by all means - you can certainly prepopulate your .pot file.
(11-29-2015, 11:45 PM)royce Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, I misunderstood.  I thought you meant after a cracking run had started, but it sounds like you're talking about doing this before your initial cracking run begins.  That's much easier!  Yes, by all means - you can certainly prepopulate your .pot file.

You are correct, I would add the hash:password sets to the .pot file prior to the cracking run. Thank you for your input.