hashcat Forum

Full Version: again AMD (290X/390x) vs NV GFX 970
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

as epixoip stated below - he thinks 970 should be preferred over 290x/390x.

ok so far ... but I would like to know "why"?

Is it true for a SINGLE card system, too? or only for multi-GPU (as 970 requires less power/cooling).

Maybe s.o. could post some benchmarks ...? (wpa2, des, md5, shaX would be nice).

thanks.

And now to sth "completely different": I assume that "reference" design cards like ASUS TURBO-GTX970-OC-4GD5 (as far as I know it's not a 'real' reference design) make more noise than e.g. STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5? (I plan to use the system for general purpose and not only for cracking)

br
Almost every question you asked covered in forums. Don't be lazy to write in search: GTX970. About noise, yes, reference usually louder than oem. Most silent designs I saw was from gigabyte (those cheap variants for mass users).
hi,

thanks. I did the search first - but only got some older benchmark for GTX970. (but not for 290/390X). Maybe I have to check the older posts, too. I think I remember some benchmark where the GTX970 was behind AMD ... but maybe that's not true anymore (newer drivers?). So main goal was to get a recent benchmark for both - just to compare some hashe types.
You can find bencmark for 970 and 290 here... https://gist.github.com/epixoip

Best regards,
Azren
GTX 970 is roughly the same speed as 290X while drawing half the power, and won't damage your motherboard like the 290X will. And also fuck AMD.