hashcat Forum

Full Version: WPA method advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I just discovered oclHashcat yesterday, great piece of software!

I'm just after some advice on the best/most efficient way of obtaining WPA pass-phrases (-m 2500).

I've read through the information on the site, and gone over the mask-attack information, but tbh I didn't really fully grasp it 100%.

I've got the 4 way handshake files from my router, and I know the current WPA password is: k3t3kyta

What would be the best way of obtaining the above password from the files? I'm currently running the below command, but unsure if there is a better/faster way?

-m 2500 .\handshakes\output.hccap -a 3 -1 ?l?d ?1?1?1?1?1?l?l?l

Basically just trying to figure out the most efficient command/mask for a password length of 8, which could possibly contain numbers at any point within the password. 

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer Smile
If you know that the password has a length of 8 and contains only lower case alphanumeric then the best mask would be: -1 ?l?d ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1.
A dictionary attack could be faster, but that depends on the size of the dictionary.
Not sure why you used 3x ?l at the end of your mask, I mean yeah you know the password but than you just could have used: ?l?d?l?d?l?l?l?l.
Edit: Since I'm a beginner myself please correct any mistakes.