hashcat Forum

Full Version: R9 290 vs 290x pricing and reference design questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I did a default install of Ubuntu Server LTS 14.4(.4), only installed:

Code:
build-essential dkms fluxbox libqtcore4 libc6-i386 lib32gcc1 xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-video-dummy x11-xserver-utils xdm 

Code:
$ uname -a

Linux bubble 4.4.0-36-generic #55~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 12 11:49:30 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

After rebooting, I installed the drivers listed in the thread above (the 15.12), successfully ran aticonfig --initial, and they appear to be in place:

Code:
~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep fglrx
fglrx install
fglrx-amdcccle install
fglrx-core install
fglrx-dev install

My ATI Radeon 290x is detected in hardware:

Code:
$ lspci | grep VGA

83:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT [Radeon R9 290X]

But for some reason the kernel never loads (doesn't have??) the actual fglrx module:

Code:
$ sudo clinfo 
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:809 kmod_module_insert_module() could not find module by name='fglrx'
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx': Function not implemented
Error! Fail to load fglrx kernel module! Maybe you can switch to root user to load kernel module directly
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:809 kmod_module_insert_module() could not find module by name='fglrx'
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx': Function not implemented
Error! Fail to load fglrx kernel module! Maybe you can switch to root user to load kernel module directly
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  156 ()
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19
  Serial number of failed request:  12
  Current serial number in output stream:  12

A similar error from Xorg.log:

Code:
$ cat Xorg.0.log | grep fglrx
[     6.993] (==) fglrx(0): OpenGL ClientDriverName: "fglrx_dri.so"
[     6.993] (==) fglrx(0): UseFastTLS=0
[     6.993] (II) fglrx(0): Shadow Primary option: ShadowPrimary is enabled
[     6.993] (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed. Probably kernel module missing or incompatible. 
[     6.993] (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************************
[     6.993] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed                               *
[     6.993] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
[     6.993] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled                         *
[     6.993] (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************************
[     6.993] (II) fglrx(0): FBADPhys: 0xf400000000 FBMappedSize: 0x10000000

I did notice this in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf though which seems off given that lscpi shows an address of 83:00.0:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:131:0:0"
EndSection

Why are my kernel modules missing and how to I get them to load?
check if the module is loaded

root@ultrabox:/home/kartan/hashcat# lsmod |grep fglrx
fglrx 15405056 38
amd_iommu_v2 20480 1 fglrx

Edit:

yea your clinfo error indicates that your module is not loaded, try to rebuild it with "--force". Btw did you take a look at https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto
(09-14-2016, 03:14 AM)kartan Wrote: [ -> ]check if the module is loaded

root@ultrabox:/home/kartan/hashcat# lsmod |grep fglrx
fglrx               15405056  38
amd_iommu_v2           20480  1 fglrx

Edit:

yea your clinfo error indicates that your module is not loaded, try to rebuild it with "--force". Btw did you take a look at https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

That was the exact link I followed, but I opted to use the proprietary drivers for 15.12 mentioned in the thread above. I'll try my dpkg install with force FWIW to see if that helps. I didn't get any errors when the drivers were installed and aticonfig seemed to work ok.
[/quote]

That was the exact link I followed, but I opted to use the proprietary drivers for 15.12 mentioned in the thread above. I'll try my dpkg install with force FWIW to see if that helps. I didn't get any errors when the drivers were installed and aticonfig seemed to work ok.
[/quote]

Same error - it won't load/can't find the kernel mod. lsmod doesn't show it, and even with a --force all with dpkg, it still never loads the module. 

I feel like all this needs is a symlink somewhere from the actual driver to where the system expects to find it.
I was talking about rebuilding the module not reinstalling the package
(09-14-2016, 08:32 PM)kartan Wrote: [ -> ]I was talking about rebuilding the module not reinstalling the package

Hmmm well I keep trying it but I always get this:

Building initial module for 4.4.0-47-generic
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.4.0-47-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/make.log for more information.

Which looks like it fails for some other reason. Note this time I simply did an 'apt-get install fglrx'

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Monaco; color: #f5f5f5; background-color: #000000} span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures}
DKMS make.log for fglrx-core-15.201 for kernel 4.4.0-47-generic (x86_64)
Sun Nov 27 19:02:26 EST 2016
/usr/sbin/dkms: line 73: cd: /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/15.201/build: No such file or directory
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-47-generic/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-47-generic'
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘firegl_major_proc_read’:
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:639:9: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
     len = seq_printf(m, "%d\n", major);
         ^
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_fpu_save_init’:
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:6508:49: error: ‘XSTATE_FP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
       if (!(fpu->state.xsave.header.xfeatures & XSTATE_FP))
                                                 ^
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:6508:49: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: At top level:
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:6498:12: warning: ‘KCL_fpu_save_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static int KCL_fpu_save_init(struct task_struct *tsk)
            ^
make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/fglrx-core/15.201/build/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-47-generic'
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
You need amdgpu-pro 16.40 for kernel 4.4
Pages: 1 2