hashcat Forum

Full Version: AMD R7 240 --> hashcat?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Guys,

First off, can i state this is only for dev purposes, not for actually getting some decent cracking speeds.

I have a HO Microserver Gen 8 with an AMD R7 240 GPU in the PCI express port and have passed that through to a ubuntu (16.04) VM using VT-d under ESXi (6.0u2).

I have installed the amdgpu-pro drivers in the VM and can see the card under lspci:

Code:
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
02:02.0 USB controller: VMware USB2 EHCI Controller
02:04.0 SATA controller: VMware SATA AHCI controller
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland PRO [Radeon R7 240/340]
03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]

Un fortunately hash cat doesn't recognise the GPU. I have got x11 running but nothing physically plugged into the GPU ports (HDMI/DVI):
Code:
hashcat (v3.10) starting...

OpenCL Platform #1: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
================================================
- Device #1: WARNING: Not a native Intel OpenCL runtime, expect massive speed loss
             You can use --force to override this but do not post error reports if you do so
- Device #1: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz, skipped

ERROR: No devices found/left

So first question, does this GPU support hash cat and OpenCL?

Secondly, what could i be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

P.s. Reminder that this is only for test purposes (playing with VT-d GPU pass through)
The GPU is too old, it's not supported, trash it. To make use of the CPU, install an OpenCL runtime for it.
Hi atom, Thanks for the update. Would you be able to confirm a low profile single slot GPU that will work with hash cat? Am thinking nvidia 750ti but unfortunately VT-d pass through doesn't work on nvidia so AMD options only.
(basically I'm asking the cheapest available as it's for dev purposes only)
You could just use CPU for dev purposes.
But i specifically want to test GPU pass through and how it affects hashcat.

As im looking into creating an ESXi host with 8 GPUs that i can split between 2VMs
Ah ok. Well if ESXi isn't a hard requirement, you can do pci-e passthru with Nvidia on Xen.
(10-03-2016, 05:30 PM)epixoip Wrote: [ -> ]Ah ok. Well if ESXi isn't a hard requirement, you can do pci-e passthru with Nvidia on Xen.

Ah interesting, that's good to know as it provides me with another avenue for testing. Much appreciated