hashcat Forum

Full Version: AMD HD 6990 GPU and Amdgpu-pro driver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong sub forum.

Recently got into hashcat and was able to setup my system (AMD fx4100 quad 3.6ghz, 7gb ram) running The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) linux and the newer 4.9 kernel successfully and crack with no issues using an nvidia gtx 750 ti card.

Have then purchased the AMD HD 6990 and have begun the switch from nvidia to AMD. I have since read a lot online about issues with AMD GPU and linux.

My issue is having read through a lot of online posts, I don't believe my HD 6990 is supported by the Amdgpu-pro driver that is advised by hashcat for AMD CPU and Linux setup and indeed when installing this driver and running a hashcat --benchmark, I'm presented with a "CL Build Program Failure (which I believe from the wiki is incompatible drivers). Further confirmed when i reboot Linux I'm presented with a black screen.

The version of The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) I'm running doesn't seem to support the older flrgx driver, and I don't believe hashcat will run with this anyway (am i wrong?)

Need some guidance on the correct drivers (GPU and ocl) needed for my HD 6990 as I spent countless hours trying different drivers to get hashcat to work. If the Amdgpu-pro is not compatible with 6990 is there alternative driver that works with hashcat? 

Dont particularly fancy having to upgrade the gpu hardware again

Thsnks for your assistance

DrR
You switched from Nvidia to AMD? That's a bit backwards. AMD dropped support for TeraScale GPUs so you'll need to use an old fglrx driver (15.09 or 15.12 should work) along with an older distribution like Ubuntu 14.04.
(02-05-2017, 10:19 PM)epixoip Wrote: [ -> ]You switched from Nvidia to AMD? That's a bit backwards. AMD dropped support for TeraScale GPUs

Yeah these are the things I'm learning after purchasing new hardware. Won't make that mistake again

Ok I'll give this combination of Ubuntu 14.04 and the flgrx driver.

Thanks for the advice