hashcat Forum

Full Version: Mask attack issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I recently faced an issue with mask attack trying to crack a bunch of NTLM passwords. 

The command I used which did not work is: hashcat -a 3 -m 1000 hash.txt -i --increment-min=8 --increment-max=15 ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a

It tried all 8 character and did not crack a single password in the hash.txt list (There were a lot of 8 character passwords)

I tried a command without trying the mask: hashcat -a 3 -m 1000 hash.txt -i --increment-min=8 --increment-max=15

The above command cracked a bunch of passwords. (I know it takes a default mask and it is a smaller subset)

Not sure why the first command did not yield any passwords. Can somebody suggest or help me with this issue.
Should have cracked 8 length passwords. I tried locally and it worked fine
(02-16-2017, 07:29 PM)atom Wrote: [ -> ]Should have cracked 8 length passwords. I tried locally and it worked fine

Thank you atom, Appreciate your quick response. 

This is totally unexpected for me too. Any further steps to troubleshoot this issue.
If we both can't reproduce the issue, the chances that there's no issue is higher than it is user error