hashcat Forum

Full Version: My next learning curve... from brute force to hybrid with rules.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to increase my understanding of hybrid attack options (rules) to create a smarter system?  I'm trying to teach myself to use the hashcat system.

So far I have taught myself to brute some old Truecrypt files I had laying around, but it takes a very long time with longer passwords (more time than I have) and that's going to be a problem when I take on a bigger challenge, so I realize I have to learn to do it smarter.

I made a "bumbler.dict" file with all the likely words I used in passwords around that time (I actually know the password now, but I want to learn because I have larger targets I've lost the password for next).

So when I was doing the crack before I was doing:
hashcat64 -m 6211 -a 3 bumblers.crypt -i --increment-min 8

But I'm wanting to figure out how to incorporate the bumbler.dict into this trying to take baby steps and read help/faq as I go:
hashcat64 -m 6211 -a 3 bumblers.crypt bumbler.dict -i --increment-min 8

But I get "no usable dictionary file found".

It's a plain text list of words that are carriage return delimited, what am I missing?

Next for me is to figure out how to append and prepend the common characters I use, but I think the faq is clear on that, so I'll hit that next.
-a 3 is only used for mask attack

if you want to use hybrid (-a 6 or -a 7) you need to adjust your command line... most importantly the -a x option.

for -a 6 and -a 7 you need to provide both the mask and the dictionary
-a 6: first parameter is dictionary, second is mask
-a 7: first parameter is mask, second is dictionary
Thanks philsmd, it's getting clearer to me now.

I'll keep reading and testing.