hashcat Forum

Full Version: Hashcat Bruteforce Mode failure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seems like Hashcat Brute force mode stopped properly working. Nothing was changed in terms proprietary nvidia drivers, though I have updated linux kernel several times, not sure when exactly it started to behave like this.

Example: hashcat -m 2500 -a 3 -w 3 [path-to-hccapx-file] ?a?a?a?a?a

Return: Skipping mask '?a?a?a?a?a' because it is smaller than the minimum password length.

After that hashcat stops. I've tried any number of chars, it returns the same apart from when I go over 9 chars. Used to work with any number of chars. What I'm missing out here?
wpa passwords must have a length of at least 8 characters. If it worked before that was a bug.
undeath, it would have made sense if I didn't have old router with old firmware, where I could simply change my pass to whatever I liked.
the wpa specification does not allow passwords shorter than 8 characters.
undeath, is it not just a recommendation?
it is not.
undeath, thank you for support! May I ask for some references in protocol where this is being determined?
(01-30-2018, 02:57 PM)Kangaroot Wrote: [ -> ]undeath, thank you for support! May I ask for some references in protocol where this is being determined?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Prot...tribution)
Skwerl23, great, thanks. Missed this paragraph when read it first time.