hashcat Forum

Full Version: Need help buying a rig, and not GPU based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey team, so my main goal is to have hashcat and john crack passwords as fast as possible, but i'm not brute forcing. most the passwords i will attempt are 16 characters, but doubled. so i need to run a stdout of 8 characters, or so, and insert rules to those. I can't seem to get massive increases with a GPU over cpu on this method. 

Does anyone know the best rig for rules mixed with combinator etc... would a 32 core cpu setup outperform a gpu on this? Most the rules i use will require john to perform the final hashing, and i know this ISN'T john's forums, but i know you guys are experts.

Also note money is not a problem (but want to be smart). I was thinking an i9 7960x  or a dual Xeon e5-something

Any tips are much appreciated.
If money is not a problem find someone to implement your attack on GPU for you.
GPUs (like 1070-1080-1080ti) are far better than CPU (even i9)
Also worthwhile to note that Intel’s OpenCL runtime is crap for Skylake X. Haven’t been able to get my i7-7820X to run properly on Linux or Windows 10. There’s no reason to consider CPU cracking.