hashcat Forum

Full Version: Using Incremental Mode with a wordlist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've just started to use hashcat and spent the last hour reading through the wiki trying to understand how to get what i want to work..

I'm just testing at the moment using:

Card - 1 x Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Card.
OS - Win 10 x64
masked hash - $1$BXXGXX1X$XXXXXqRQEx.nq.bXXXXwX.
clear hash - englishword + special character

I have a md5 hash from a UNIX shadows file 
hash with a password that I know that I'm trying to understand how to get the password viewed as found on the output.

If I run the following the password is found as expected..

hashcat64.exe -a 6 -m 500 -w 3 --show --status --status-timer=8 -w 3 -O --gpu-temp-abort=85 "C:\hash.txt" "C:\words.txt" ?s

The output show the hash and the clear text password.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on this if my hash was an english words + 3 special characters i'd like to increment from each english word followed by 1 special, then 2 special then 3 special characters until eventually the password is found.

apple1
apple11
apple111

for example.

I have another hash that i suspect uses this logic and don't want to run each individual run as running it incrementally seems to make more sense, and helps with learning too.

Am i using the right syntax here? If i use the "-stdout" it does look like right I just don't want to leave this running if there's an issue with my syntax.

Also does the incremental option run in order? i.e word+?s word+?s+?s word+?s+?s+?s

And when the password is matched will hashcat stop and tell you clearly?
I see the status say "Exhausted" even when i know the password has been found before.

Thanks  in advanced.

hashcat64.exe -a 6 -m 500 -w 3 --status --status-timer=8 -w 3 -O --gpu-temp-abort=85 "C:\hash2.txt" "C:\words.txt" ?s?s?s -i --increment-min 1 --increment-max 3
(04-08-2018, 12:44 AM)sp00ks Wrote: [ -> ]...
Am i using the right syntax here? If i use the "-stdout" it does look like right I just don't want to leave this running if there's an issue with my syntax.

Also does the incremental option run in order? i.e word+?s word+?s+?s word+?s+?s+?s

And when the password is matched will hashcat stop and tell you clearly?
I see the status say "Exhausted" even when i know the password has been found before.

Seems ok to me.
Yes.
Yes.
Check the potfile to confirm this