hashcat Forum

Full Version: Hybrid attack workload increase incase of small dic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've noticed in hybrid attacks the workload highly dependant on the amount of entries in the dictionary.
Take the following attack as example:

mask + wordlist

?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l [8]

Code:
@hotmail.com
@yahoo.om
@gmail.com
97 other domains...

Performance will be horrible. 100 seperate masks attacks would also be not very efficient.

My suggestion is the following. Munge a part of the mask into the rules to increase workload. So above example would become:

?l?l?l?l?l [5]

Code:
aaa@hotmail.com
aaa@yahoo.om
aaa@gmail.com
aab@hotmail.com
aab@yahoo.om
aab@gmail.com
aac@hotmail.com
aac@yahoo.om
aac@gmail.com
etc.
Depending on what hash mode you are using (or how many salts) you can increase the performance using -S
(12-21-2018, 12:36 PM)undeath Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on what hash mode you are using (or how many salts) you can increase the performance using -S

When I tested on 5.1 -S was not supported for a hybrid attack.
And this is mostly an issue on fast algos so -S does not seem like a good solution to me
The best solution for cracking emails is to either use rules or -a 1 based attacks.
True, but there's plenty of emails that are crackable with masks/hybrid attacks (assuming a fast algo)

.edu emails are a great example since they're often short and following a specific format
What I meant is that if you use -a 1 you can do the same as what hybrid is doing while having the GPU running at full speed.