hashcat Forum

Full Version: Can I configure HC with known chars in a password?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's for a wpa2 hash. 8 chars upper, alphanumeric. I know the first char and I think the second char is one of 3 possibilities. 

So can I configure HC with these known chars and is there an estimate on how long it will take to crack it?
see https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack

hashcat -m 2500 -a 3 -2 ABC -3 ?l?u?d hash.txt D?2?3?3?3?3?3?3

-1, -2, -3, -4 are the custom charsets (--custom-charset1 ... --custom-charset4)

-2 ABC means "A" or "B" or "C"
-3 ?l?u?d means either lowercase char or uppercase char or digits

D?2?3?3?3?3?3?3 means "D" is hard-coded, 2nd position is set of chars from --custom-charset2 (or short -2),
after 2nd position (3rd to 8th) is using charset from ?l?u?d
(08-01-2019, 09:30 PM)philsmd Wrote: [ -> ]see https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack

hashcat -m 2500 -a 3 -2 ABC -3 ?l?u?d hash.txt D?2?3?3?3?3?3?3

-1, -2, -3, -4 are the custom charsets (--custom-charset1 ... --custom-charset4)

-2 ABC means "A" or "B" or "C"
-3 ?l?u?d means either lowercase char or uppercase char or digits

D?2?3?3?3?3?3?3 means "D" is hard-coded, 2nd position is set of chars from --custom-charset2 (or short -2),
after 2nd position (3rd to 8th) is using charset from ?l?u?d

That's confusing.

I know the first char is A and I think second is T. Could you give the command for this?
He literally gave you the command for that. All you need to do is switch out the letters ABCD.
(08-01-2019, 10:17 PM)undeath Wrote: [ -> ]He literally gave you the command for that. All you need to do is switch out the letters ABCD.

But how do you set D to the character A?

I only need uppercase. Also is this the same for oclhashcat?
You replace the character D by the character A. Yes, it's that simple.

It's the same for oclhashcat but that's severely outdated and if something doesn't work you're on your own.
(08-01-2019, 10:37 PM)undeath Wrote: [ -> ]You replace the character D by the character A. Yes, it's that simple.

It's the same for oclhashcat but that's severely outdated and if something doesn't work you're on your own.

So nobody uses oclhashcat anymore?

I thought oclhashcat worked on gpus and hashcat on cpus?
That's not the case since 2016. Welcome to the future.
So does HC generate password combinations on the fly when using masks as opposed to loading a text file of passwords. If so which is more efficient, I would imagine loading large password files in the order of Gb's would be very consuming on the vpu/memory?