hashcat Forum

Full Version: Low power CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I´m building small ITX factor cracking PC just for being on 24/7, gonna install a 1080 on it, as I don't see any reliable blower fan on the RTX series.
As the system is gonna work mostly on the GPU I wonder what could be a good choice of CPU for keep the power consumption as low as possible while the system is working or on IDLE.
any suggestions?
cheers.
You won't have any issue with any T-series Skylake or higher on a single 1080. A company I worked for ran a Kaby Lake i7-T processor on an 8x1070Ti rig for quite a while with minimal performance impact. unfortunately i don't have any true metrics to share, just anecdotes. i run an ancient xeon v2 right now in my rig and perf is adequate as well.

Remember that overall you will not be using most of the processor's power running hashcat on a single GPU, so you will likely see little difference if you did some Turbo Boost tuning and undervolted.
I have a couple of repurposed mining rigs with some very weak procs, a celeron and a pentium, each with 6 1070s on pci1x risers.

Without sizeable rules, the gpus starve out pretty fast on fast hashes, otherwise they work really well. When I start getting into inline candidate generation (prince, pcfg) CPU performace starts being a factor pretty quickly with my gutless processors, although again, big rulesets help a lot.

Coming from my situation to yours; a single GPU on a 16x bus; I'd guess an i3 would give you enough grunt to run inline tools and keep the 1080 busy without breaking the bank or popping breakers. But if you're mainly just going to be running masks and hucking wordlists in you could probably go even lower into a pentium or celeron.

That said, when the procs are idle, non of them draw very much power anyways.
In case you want something more powerful but still budget, you could also look at a Ryzen 1600 (6C/12T). It is available for <= 100 $/€ and has a TDP of 65W. Also note that AMD silently switched to 14nm+ manufacturing at some point in time, which gives a little extra performance.
(02-20-2020, 05:18 PM)NoReply Wrote: [ -> ]In case you want something more powerful but still budget, you could also look at a Ryzen 1600 (6C/12T). It is available for <= 100 $/€ and has a TDP of 65W. Also note that AMD silently switched to 14nm+ manufacturing at some point in time, which gives a little extra performance.

Thanks.. I would like to go cheap but invest in something reliable. I read that Ryzen performs OK on hashcat nowadays, is it true?
In fact I was thinking on a Celeron or a Pentium second hand, as is going to be pair with a 1080 or 2060, as they have similar hashing speed and pretty much same price.