hashcat Forum

Full Version: Dusted off old gaming laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.

I just found my old MSI gaming laptop (GX660R) and installed the latest version of The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) 2.0 onto it, and hoped I can put it to some good use again.

I remember the good old days when I ran BT on it and used to crack hashes with my Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5870. Trust me, it's a dinosaur these days but still good compared to run CPU cracking tools.

Now to my problem, it seems that the card is no longer supported obviously, and I have had a hard time finding anything, drivers vice, that works.

Here is some dumps from the system:

$ hashcat -b
hashcat (v5.1.0) starting in benchmark mode...

Benchmarking uses hand-optimized kernel code by default.
You can use it in your cracking session by setting the -O option.
Note: Using optimized kernel code limits the maximum supported password length.
To disable the optimized kernel code in benchmark mode, use the -w option.

* Device #1: Not a native Intel OpenCL runtime. Expect massive speed loss.
            You can use --force to override, but do not report related errors.
No devices found/left.

Started: Mon Apr 27 21:48:47 2020
Stopped: Mon Apr 27 21:48:47 2020

$ sudo lshw -c video
  *-display               
      description: VGA compatible controller
      product: Broadway XT [Mobility Radeon HD 5870]
      vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
      version: 00
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
      configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
      resources: irq:46 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0020000-e003ffff ioport:d000(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff9

$ clinfo | grep -i vendor
  Platform Vendor                                The pocl project
  Device Vendor                                    GenuineIntel
  Device Vendor ID                                0x6c636f70
  ICD loader Vendor                              OCL Icd free software

So if it isn't obvious already. I want this old kitty to rev those fans back to maximum speed for hours again. My problem is that I lack advanced experience solving these kinds of issues without taking down the whole OS a couple of times, reinstalling, etc, and to be completely honest also lack proper knowledge.

So I know it has been running before, and I would like it to be able to run again. Is there anyone on this forum willing to help me resurrect this laptop to its former glory? Help me sort this problems out?

I would appreciate it greatly! Thanks!
Your device is too old.
(04-27-2020, 10:26 PM)undeath Wrote: [ -> ]Your device is too old.

It ran before, it can run again. It's going to be doing just fine as a mobile pentest station. Just need to know how to tweak it to make it happen. Suggestions?
(04-27-2020, 10:36 PM)Qui86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2020, 10:26 PM)undeath Wrote: [ -> ]Your device is too old.

It ran before, it can run again. It's going to be doing just fine as a mobile pentest station. Just need to know how to tweak it to make it happen. Suggestions?

Run an older version of hashcat but don't report any issues you may be having. The card is too dated and does not support openCL 1.2 as required. I had a similar card which ran fine using 3.6.0.

See the homepage and scroll all the way to the bottom for older versions.

https://hashcat.net/hashcat/