hashcat Forum

Full Version: AWS and speed of thier GPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all!

I have been thinking about getting some time on AWS's beastly GPUs basically as a test to see how fast a really killer GPU might crack some hashes. They have the following GPU's available:

NVIDIA Tesla V100 GPU

NVIDIA K80 GPU

Just curious if these are compatible and if so, what kind of speed would you expect with either of these for say, a NTLM hash? 

Also, they have an option for two of the K80s at about the same price point as 1 of the Tesla guys.  Is two better than one in this case?

Thanks!
(06-23-2020, 11:12 PM)led5150 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all!

I have been thinking about getting some time on AWS's beastly GPUs basically as a test to see how fast a really killer GPU might crack some hashes. They have the following GPU's available:

NVIDIA Tesla V100 GPU

NVIDIA K80 GPU

Just curious if these are compatible and if so, what kind of speed would you expect with either of these for say, a NTLM hash? 

Also, they have an option for two of the K80s at about the same price point as 1 of the Tesla guys.  Is two better than one in this case?

Thanks!

K80's are quite old and are not very performant for the price/hour (Or the elelctricity cost). V100's are the way to go for performance per dollar and top-line speed per VM
Thanks for the info!  I'm gonna go for the V100.  I'll post here when I get some stats on speed!
So here's what I got for an unsalted NTLM hash in brute force mode 6 characters min:

Speed.#1.........: 42479.2 MH/s (7.05ms) @ Accel:32 Loops:128 Thr:1024 Vec:8

I'm actually a little underwhelmed, since the record of 100 billion was made on a far cheaper GPU.  It makes me feel like somewhere there is a driver issue... but it took me so long to install the drivers that are working now, I don't know if I'm going to stop and retry.  Sever rental is expensive!
I don't know what made you think developer GPUs are superior for hashcracking. They aren't.
(06-26-2020, 03:59 PM)undeath Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what made you think developer GPUs are superior for hashcracking. They aren't.

Oh it's because I have no idea what I'm doing.  Ha, I found that out the hard way last night.  So what makes a GPU better for cracking hashes specifically?
Hashcat requires good integer performance. Developer cards usually only boost floating point performance, sometimes even at the cost of integer performance. Consumer GPUs are what work best for hashcat.