hashcat Forum

Full Version: Using two rule files at the same time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was hoping someone could explain to me exactly what using -r twice in the same command with two different rule files does. Does it apply them at the same time or sequentially/separately to each guess?

example -

hashcat -m1000 -a0 -w4 -O -d 1,2,3,4 --hwmon-disable d:\pwdump.txt d:\wordlists\big\test.txt -r rules\dive.rule -r rules\hob064.rule
It's the product of both rulesets - rule 1 from list 1 AND rule 1 from list 2, etc etc.

This is one reason why ':' (do nothing) is often included in rulesets, so that each rule from each wordlist is also independently applied.

There's a GitHub issue open requesting a way to apply them in series instead. (Today, you can do this by appending the files into another file, or running multiple commands).

It's handy to be able to choose either strategy.
(09-06-2020, 11:41 PM)royce Wrote: [ -> ]It's the product of both rulesets - rule 1 from list 1 AND rule 1 from list 2, etc etc.

This is one reason why ':' (do nothing) is often included in rulesets, so that each rule from each wordlist is also independently applied.

There's a GitHub issue open requesting a way to apply them in series instead. (Today, you can do this by appending the files into another file, or running multiple commands).

It's handy to be able to choose either strategy.

Thank you! Something else to add to my methodology.