hashcat Forum

Full Version: Cracking too slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, 
I'm using hashcat to find my password to ETH wallet.  To be honest, just a part of it, because I know first 6 letters from 12. I tried mask attack, where first characters are known and the rest 6 chars are defined in my charset - just small, capital letters and numbers. I used mode 15700. My problem is that hashcat shows time to end searching... 2 years. I thing its way to long, because I have good graphic card, Geforce rtx 2070 Super, 8GB. 

I tried to instal drivers again according to instructions from hashcat page, but it didnt help. What else can I do?
(10-25-2020, 11:57 AM)szosti94 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there, 
I'm using hashcat to find my password to ETH wallet.  To be honest, just a part of it, because I know first 6 letters from 12. I tried mask attack, where first characters are known and the rest 6 chars are defined in my charset - just small, capital letters and numbers. I used mode 15700. My problem is that hashcat shows time to end searching... 2 years. I thing its way to long, because I have good graphic card, Geforce rtx 2070 Super, 8GB. 

I tried to instal drivers again according to instructions from hashcat page, but it didnt help. What else can I do?
ETH wallets brute only on CPU
-m 15700 = Ethereum Wallet, SCRYPT is known (like any scrypt-based algo with high cost factors) to be GPU-unfriendly and that it performs better on modern and fast CPUs (like Intel i9 or new Ryzen).

It's always difficult to "brute-force" a slow hash type. That's nothing unexpected.
It also should be your very last resort... often it's much better to try other attack types, like rule-based dictionary attack.

It's clear that if you try each and every combination of 6 random bytes that the number of combinations ("keyspace") is huge and that it will take a lot of time. most of the times brute-forcing is not the most efficient, nor most clever strategy.

I don't see anything unexpected here, except the fact that you are not aware of trying to use a modern CPU (instead of GPU) for SCRTYPT hashing algorithms.
Thanks. I tried force CPU, but hashcat doesn't see my processor. It's AMD Ryzen 5 3600. I guess that it's some problem with drivers?
yeah, just install the Intel driver (not a joke, it's also recommended here: https://hashcat.net/hashcat) :

https://software.intel.com/content/www/u...pu-section
Thank you! It helped, hashcat can see CPU now and the estimated time is way shorter. I have next question about other attacks you mentioned. Well, Im newbie, i was looking for informations about rule attacks but im not sure how to do it. I have big base of passwords so i can try dictionary attack, but my password was generated and im not sure if this method can help.
I know first 6 chars and i need to find the rest 6 chars. I know that there are just letters (big and small) and numbers. Which metod is the most efficient in this case if not the brute attack with mask?
If "qwerty" is the known part, your mask should be: -1 ?l?u?d (upper + lower + digits) and "qwerty?1?1?1?1?1?1"