hashcat Forum
New Tyan Build Log - Printable Version

+- hashcat Forum (https://hashcat.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Misc (https://hashcat.net/forum/forum-15.html)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://hashcat.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: New Tyan Build Log (/thread-4511.html)

New Tyan Build Log - alexalex9998 - 07-07-2015

OK this will be a build log on a cracking server I have been waiting to build for a long time. If you hace any tips or sugestones that would be great. Also big thanks to epixoip for the ansering my questions. So the parts list is

- 2 E5 2630-V3
- 130ish gbs of DDR4 crucial Ram 16gb a stick
- 8 tarabytes of HDD space and 120gb samsung 840 evo for boot and stuffs
- Tyan case
- 4 R9 290x's by safier overclocked to 1250mhz (ill add 4 more later)

[Image: 2csf5mg.jpg][/img]

All the ramz

[Image: w6vxv9.jpg]

All the storagez

[Image: 2lkrvup.jpg]

[Image: 3341c1h.jpg]

RE: New Tyan Build Log - epixoip - 07-07-2015

Looks like someone is having fun Smile

However, I have identified an issue with your build. Sorry, not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you fix it while you're still early in the build process.

Look at the directionality of the fins on your GPU heatsinks. Then think about the airflow through the chassis. For a reminder, look at the sticker on the CPU heatsink Wink The GPU fans are going to blow small amounts of low-pressure air upwards/downwards, while the chassis fans are going to blow shitloads of high-pressure air rearwards. What's going to happen is the air moving over the top of the GPUs is going to create a high-pressure zone, preventing the hot air in the GPU from rising and exhausting, and creating pockets of hot air inside and around the GPUs.

For this chassis, you need GPUs with horizontal heatsink fins, not vertical. I mean obviously we always recommend reference design GPUs, but if you're going to go with an OEM design GPU, then you really need one with horizontal fins. You might also find that an OEM design GPU with horizontal fins cools better in this chassis without the shroud and GPU fans, just being passively cooled by the chassis fans alone.

However, I'm afraid that's not your biggest problem, as I do have a bit more discouraging news. We've recently learned that after about a year of continuous use, the R9 290X will kill the motherboard in this chassis. The PCI-e slots will start burning out one-by-one. If you read Tyan's documentation, it states not to use GPUs that draw more than 300W. At stock clocks on algorithms like NTLM and MD5, you'll be pulling around 325W per card. With your 1250 Mhz overclock, you'll likely be pulling around 360W. So if you continue to use this GPU for this build, your motherboard will likely die within the next 12 months.

So biggest recommendation to you is to return these four GPUs that you have, and pick up four GTX 970 or GTX 980 instead. They will be just as fast if not faster and will draw literally half of the power. Then you'll want to use the onboard VGA and ensure that the GPUs are properly spaced out inside the chassis (I know why you did it this way for AMD, but it will not be necessary for Nvidia.)

Good luck!

RE: New Tyan Build Log - alexalex9998 - 07-07-2015

(07-07-2015, 06:44 AM)epixoip Wrote: Looks like someone is having fun Smile

However, I have identified an issue with your build. Sorry, not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you fix it while you're still early in the build process.

Look at the directionality of the fins on your GPU heatsinks. Then think about the airflow through the chassis. For a reminder, look at the sticker on the CPU heatsink Wink The GPU fans are going to blow small amounts of low-pressure air upwards/downwards, while the chassis fans are going to blow shitloads of high-pressure air rearwards. What's going to happen is the air moving over the top of the GPUs is going to create a high-pressure zone, preventing the hot air in the GPU from rising and exhausting, and creating pockets of hot air inside and around the GPUs.

For this chassis, you need GPUs with horizontal heatsink fins, not vertical. I mean obviously we always recommend reference design GPUs, but if you're going to go with an OEM design GPU, then you really need one with horizontal fins. You might also find that an OEM design GPU with horizontal fins cools better in this chassis without the shroud and GPU fans, just being passively cooled by the chassis fans alone.

However, I'm afraid that's not your biggest problem, as I do have a bit more discouraging news. We've recently learned that after about a year of continuous use, the R9 290X will kill the motherboard in this chassis. The PCI-e slots will start burning out one-by-one. If you read Tyan's documentation, it states not to use GPUs that draw more than 300W. At stock clocks on algorithms like NTLM and MD5, you'll be pulling around 325W per card. With your 1250 Mhz overclock, you'll likely be pulling around 360W. So if you continue to use this GPU for this build, your motherboard will likely die within the next 12 months.

So biggest recommendation to you is to return these four GPUs that you have, and pick up four GTX 970 or GTX 980 instead. They will be just as fast if not faster and will draw literally half of the power. Then you'll want to use the onboard VGA and ensure that the GPUs are properly spaced out inside the chassis (I know why you did it this way for AMD, but it will not be necessary for Nvidia.)

Good luck!

If I were to just take the fans off (lowering the tdp a bit) and on the specs for the website it says that it runs at >330 would it work or should I just go and return them?

RE: New Tyan Build Log - epixoip - 07-07-2015

Taking the fans off of this GPU wouldn't really do anything, because it has vertical heatsink fins, not horizontal. So yeah, my recommendation would be to use a different GPU. There's really no good reason to use AMD GPUs in a new build, so if you're trying to stay in the 300 USD price range, check out the GTX 970.

RE: New Tyan Build Log - tazeat - 07-14-2015

Any real reason for all that memory? You can get an extra card or two if you drop it down to just one stick per cpu...

RE: New Tyan Build Log - d2 - 07-15-2015

(07-14-2015, 11:26 PM)tazeat Wrote: Any real reason for all that memory?

processing large dictionaries in RAMdisk once in a while - IMO a good idea.

RE: New Tyan Build Log - alexalex9998 - 08-01-2015

[Image: Screenshot_from_2015_07_31_01_27_24.jpg]

Every time I try to use an example the process runs and it identifies all of the gpu's but there is never any output. This was done with a dictionary that had just 1 test password that matched the md5 hash that it was being ran against. Any suggestion would be nice thank you.

RE: New Tyan Build Log - Xanadrel - 08-01-2015

Are you serious ?
It's just basic hashcat usage, check your mode, you're trying to use a wordlist with -a 3, it's even shown on the "Input.Mode" line...

Also, know how to use your system, because by doing
Code:
echo "0" | md5sum
you are not getting the md5 hash of "0" but "0\n".