hashcat Forum
Which 2080ti in a 4U? - Printable Version

+- hashcat Forum (https://hashcat.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Misc (https://hashcat.net/forum/forum-15.html)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://hashcat.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Which 2080ti in a 4U? (/thread-8432.html)

Which 2080ti in a 4U? - cybhashcat - 06-18-2019

Hey,
My company wants to build an 8gpu rig in a 4U (esc8000) chasis.

We were recommended to get the Asus Turbo version due to its blower design... but the Amazon reviews are terrible.

However, there is no Blower FE, and the non-blower design isn't known to be a very good fit with 2U/4U...

What do you recommend?

RE: Which 2080ti in a 4U? - epixoip - 06-19-2019

I would strongly advise against the ESC8000 for GTX/RTX cards.

EVGA makes the best OEM RTX 20 blower.

RE: Which 2080ti in a 4U? - cybhashcat - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 05:53 AM)epixoip Wrote: I would strongly advise against the ESC8000 for GTX/RTX cards.

EVGA makes the best OEM RTX 20 blower.

Hey!
That's great intel.
If i may ask, why not esc8000? (A diff suppplier suggested gigabyte's g291-281 2U, is that a better choice?
If not, what would you recommend instead? Is there a server alternatively?
My company is really set on a server and not a tower.

Thanks a lot

RE: Which 2080ti in a 4U? - epixoip - 06-19-2019

/ASUS isn't exactly known for producing quality server barebones, and the ASUS ESC8000 is basically a lesser quality ripoff of the Tyan FT77. GTX/RTX cards do not fit well in this chassis, it has much less airflow, and it overall feels chintzy.

GTX/RTX cards will not work in the G291-281, it is designed for lower-power, passively-cooled accelerators with rear PCI-e power connectors such as Tesla and Phi.

It doesn't sound like your vendors have any experience in this field. You should probably talk to suppliers who actually have experience with password cracking.

RE: Which 2080ti in a 4U? - cybhashcat - 06-20-2019

(06-19-2019, 05:02 PM)epixoip Wrote: /ASUS isn't exactly known for producing quality server barebones, and the ASUS ESC8000 is basically a lesser quality ripoff of the Tyan FT77. GTX/RTX cards do not fit well in this chassis, it has much less airflow, and it overall feels chintzy.

GTX/RTX cards will not work in the G291-281, it is designed for lower-power, passively-cooled accelerators with rear PCI-e power connectors such as Tesla and Phi.

It doesn't sound like your vendors have any experience in this field. You should probably talk to suppliers who actually have experience with password cracking.

Sigh.
its a difficult market to find experts in where i am from.
would it be possible to convince you to give me a few example (don't mind if its 2U or 4U) for chassis's that would fit the bill?

thank you again

RE: Which 2080ti in a 4U? - Flomac - 06-20-2019

(06-18-2019, 11:26 PM)cybhashcat Wrote: Hey,

I think the problem/question ist a bit different: Your Company _wants to have_ an 8GPU rig. Since it lacks the expertism and competence to build one on its own, it's highly recommended to buy one pre-configured. Like from Terahash (by epixoip).

If you want to buy a bicycle you could also build one together on your own from single parts. But you wouldn't if you totally lack the experience, would you? Same same here.

RE: Which 2080ti in a 4U? - cybhashcat - 06-21-2019

(06-20-2019, 04:16 PM)Flomac Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 11:26 PM)cybhashcat Wrote: Hey,

I think the problem/question ist a bit different: Your Company _wants to have_ an 8GPU rig. Since it lacks the expertism and competence to build one on its own, it's highly recommended to buy one pre-configured. Like from Terahash (by epixoip).

If you want to buy a bicycle you could also build one together on your own from single parts. But you wouldn't if you totally lack the experience, would you? Same same here.

That's a very valid point - and I'm not contesting it.
However, that is something near impossible to do in my country, we can only work with a few vendors.

Which is why I'm requesting advice or even examples for a few speccs. Because i think you will agree that as complex and deep this subject is, even a novice like myself can work with a "shopping list".

RE: Which 2080ti in a 4U? - epixoip - 06-21-2019

(06-20-2019, 03:41 PM)cybhashcat Wrote: would it be possible to convince you to give me a few example (don't mind if its 2U or 4U) for chassis's that would fit the bill?

i already gave you an example: Tyan FT77.

(06-21-2019, 10:30 AM)cybhashcat Wrote: Because i think you will agree that as complex and deep this subject is, even a novice like myself can work with a "shopping list".

Although things are a lot simpler in 2019 than they were in 2012, it's still not anywhere as simple as "throw GPUs into a server chassis." But I do wish you luck.

RE: Which 2080ti in a 4U? - ecos - 07-10-2019

We use several Supermicro SYS-4028GR-TRT2, each with 10x 2080 TI (Asus blower version), light overclocking, and they happily work 24/7, decent temperatures and all. Well, to be fully pedantic, we have a custom top plate/cover - also Supermicro FRU - to accommodate the GPU power connectors, as the case was designed for Tesla, so it makes it 4.5U and not exactly 4U as requested by the OP.