hashcat Forum
hcat 6.1 hw monitoring with CPU - Printable Version

+- hashcat Forum (https://hashcat.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Support (https://hashcat.net/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: hashcat (https://hashcat.net/forum/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: hcat 6.1 hw monitoring with CPU (/thread-9876.html)

hcat 6.1 hw monitoring with CPU - lagoon7 - 02-11-2021

I am running some test between hashcat on CPU and GPU. I have a ryzen 3950X on aX570 mobo with an Nvidia 1080. Using Linux 20.04 Ubuntu Mate and a custom kernel xanmod. Also I have a corsair liquid intercoole H60i.

When I am running stress test such as prime 96 it runs the CPU on all cores (4.3 Ghz) with the CPU at 75C and it never crashes.

However when I run hashcat on CPU the temps goto 92'C and reboots the system.

Wondering if the --hwmon-temp-abort and -O and -w options apply to the CPU as well or just the GPU?

Here is my command: hashcat.bin -a 0 -D 1 -d 1 -m 1400 --potfile-path=./streetMR-m1400.pot run-c0-m1400-streetMR-sha256.hashes go350-password.list -r analysis.rule -

This runs for about 30 minutes then reboots. Also which works better if I want to limit the CPU cores/threads to 8?  Hook threads or Kernel threads?

RE: hcat 6.1 hw monitoring with CPU - Snoopy - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 06:44 PM)lagoon7 Wrote: I am running some test between hashcat on CPU and GPU. I have a ryzen 3950X on aX570 mobo with an Nvidia 1080. Using Linux 20.04 Ubuntu Mate and a custom kernel xanmod. Also I have a corsair liquid intercoole H60i.

When I am running stress test such as prime 96 it runs the CPU on all cores (4.3 Ghz) with the CPU at 75C and it never crashes.

However when I run hashcat on CPU the temps goto 92'C and reboots the system.

Wondering if the --hwmon-temp-abort and -O and -w options apply to the CPU as well or just the GPU?

Here is my command: hashcat.bin -a 0 -D 1 -d 1 -m 1400 --potfile-path=./streetMR-m1400.pot run-c0-m1400-streetMR-sha256.hashes go350-password.list -r analysis.rule -

This runs for about 30 minutes then reboots. Also which works better if I want to limit the CPU cores/threads to 8?  Hook threads or Kernel threads?

for limiting cpu i would go for
--cpu-affinity            | Str  | Locks to CPU devices, separated with commas          | --cpu-affinity=1,2,3

most cpus 1 core = 2 Threads

so in your case --cpu-affinity=1,2,3,4 up to 8 resulting in 8 or 16 threads

for the rest, when your system reboots this could also be a setting in your bios/efi to prevent cpu-damage, take a look there

nevertheless 92 degrees celsius over a longer time should be avoided, so check your cooling solution 

RE: hcat 6.1 hw monitoring with CPU - lagoon7 - 02-11-2021

Thanks for the reminder about cpu-affinity. However I am concerned that the hwmon-temp-abort flag is not working for CPUs and cause the bios to reboot. Thus does hwmon-temp-abort only apply to the GPU and NOT the CPU?

Furthermore is there a way for hashcat to have a mode where it can pause and resume "hashing" when the temperature approaches the limit?

RE: hcat 6.1 hw monitoring with CPU - Snoopy - 02-15-2021

(02-11-2021, 09:03 PM)lagoon7 Wrote: Thanks for the reminder about cpu-affinity. However I am concerned that the hwmon-temp-abort flag is not working for CPUs and cause the bios to reboot. Thus does hwmon-temp-abort only apply to the GPU and NOT the CPU?

Furthermore is there a way for hashcat to have a mode where it can pause and resume "hashing" when the temperature approaches the limit?

for hw-mon, i dont really know wheter cpu or gpu only, so sry for that, on the rest

mh maybe this would be possible with 

--machine-readable

and a second process / programm monitoring the hashcat output und sending input p for pause and r for resume to the hashcat prcess but i think this is not quite a good approach

see, when pausing the temperature will drop quite really fast and also will rise really fast when resuming, so your hascat process will just pausing and resuming (depending on the cooling solution) on a quite regular base like 30 seconds or so, dont think this will work out very well,

give it a try when just using 4 or 8 cores of your 16 cores, maybe your cooling solution can handle it