Oclhashcat AMD catalyst 14.9 and The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)
Hi. I have been wrestling with this for a week. How can you run oclhashcat on The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) linux? I am using a Radeon HD 7750. When I try installing Catalyst 14.9 (which it says to do in readme.txt in oclhashcat) I get an error that I am missing the 3.7 header files. Also, the AMD documentation says that you have to be running Glibc 2.2 or later. The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) has version 2.13. So if I do a forced install, I get the ELF32 error. I have even tried rolling back to The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) 1.0.6, which has the 3.12 kernel. Does any one know what I am doing wrong? Do you have to be a C programmer to get this working?
Thanks
First off, 2.13 is newer than 2.2. It's a version string, not a floating-point number.

Installing the kernel headers is simple, "apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)"

That said, neither The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) nor Debian are officially supported by AMD Catalyst (see the Catalyst release notes for supported distributions) and many users struggle with installing the driver. Our recommended distribution is Ubuntu LTS.

As this forum is for Hashcat support, not The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) support, and your question is not directly related to Hashcat, I would suggest posting this question on the The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) forums.
Thanks for replying, Is there a version of Ubuntu you recommend? I have updated the headers, but I get
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-3.12-kali1-amd64
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-3.12-kali1-amd64'
I have the correct repositories in my sources.list
I just assumed that since oclhashcat was included in the metapackages, it would work.
Ok, so apparently The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) doesn't name their kernels and/or kernel packages properly. You should still be able to locate the correct package name with apt-cache.

We do not provide packages for The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali), they provide their own packages. If their packages do not work and/or are not up-to-date, this is an issue that needs to be raised with The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali), not us. In theory one should just be able to "apt-get install oclhashcat" and have it pull in the correct driver, but based on the frequency of The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) users seeking help here, it doesn't seem like The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) has quite figured out how it should all fit together.

LTS is the version of Ubuntu we recommend, as in "our recommended distribution is Ubuntu LTS."
Hi, the reason I asked about the version of Ubuntu is because I run Ubuntu LongTermSupport 14.04. The Amd release notes (for Linux) says that the 14.9 does support Ubuntu 14.04, but it also says that it only supports kernels up to 3.15. My Ubuntu is running 3.16. Anyway, I have had quite enough of AMD. I am going to exchange my Radeon 7750 for a Nvidia card. Is there a card you would recommend in the $200.00 range? This whole deal has been extremely frustrating, but also very educational. Thanks for your time.
ubuntu 14.04 LTS worked fine for me

If going Nvidia make sure they are the newer Maxwell based GPUs

https://developer.nvidia.com/maxwell-com...chitecture

GeForce Gaming Graphics Cards and Notebook GPUs with Maxwell Architecture:
First generation Maxwell
.Graphics Cards
...GeForce GTX 750Ti
...GeForce GTX 750

.Integrated Notebook GPUs
...GeForce GTX 960M
...GeForce GTX 950M

Second generation Maxwell