Proper way of using --restore
Hi all,

I'm trying to utilize the --restore feature in hashcat v3.10. However, I can't seem to get it working. Here is my scenario:

- I run hashcat in dictionary mode with a dictionary of 470000+ words (I know it's small, I have specific purpose)
- I quit hashcat
- I restore hashcat with the --restore flag set
- Hashcat restart from 0

Did I do something wrong here? According to my understanding, this should resume my work.
What "Restore.Point" value is displayed before you stop? Is it > 0 ?
(09-10-2016, 03:31 PM)jodler303 Wrote: What "Restore.Point" value is displayed before you stop? Is it > 0 ?
Yes it is 0. I'm not sure why it's never updated though.
Can you paste the whole command line?
(09-10-2016, 04:01 PM)jodler303 Wrote: Can you paste the whole command line?
./hashcat64.bin -a 0 -m 500 -w 3 -D 2 ../md5crypt.txt ordered_wordlist
Ok, I'm now running with a larger dictionary and the restore point is updated to 1812480. So does this mean that my original dictionary is so small that it's not even enough for restore point to update?

If I use -s to resume, could it achieve the same effect? Since I don't get the restore point to update.
Yes, it doesn't make any sense then anyway, because such a small wordlist will finish soon
I'm participating in some kind of competition and there will be intentional power shutoff. That's why I want to explore the options to restore my interrupted work.

Since restore point won't work, can I just pass -s to resume the work?
You can't use -s to "workaround" that behavior, it goes back in how GPU handle their workload.