cap2hccapx and odd ESSID
Hi,

I would like to modify cap2hccapx.c (and push it to github if needed) to print ESSID in hexadecimal.
Why ? To display/manipulate odd characters in the ESSID string e.g. russian, accent, etc

Or the question could be : how to give an odd ESSID string as a parameter to cap2hccapx ?

What's the best way to achieve this ? Is hexadecimal the good answer ?

Thank you.
Yeah, feel free to contribute with such a pull request.

I would say that using the $HEX[] format would be a good solution since it is already used a lot for the different hashcat tools.

So the input/output would need to have all these properties:
1. it starts with "$HEX[" (without quotes)
2. it ends with "]" (without quotes)
3. the chars in between must be lower-case hexadeximal (0-9a-f) and the length *must* be a multiple of 2

If all these conditions are satisfied, cap2hccapx should treat the input as hexadecimal and act accordingly.

Thanks
Do you mean to print it in hex on the debugging output? Hell, it's just debugging output! The ESSID inside the hccapx is already in binary.
I mean :
Quote:usage: cap2hccapx.exe input.pcap output.hccapx [filter by essid] [additional network essid:bssid]
How can I write an odd ESSID in the third parameter ?

As the ESSID could be something very weird, and the BSSID something well-known (hex), we should be able to provide the BSSID alone and/or instead of the ESSID.
Since the ESSID is required to be a 0 byte terminated C string, it should be possible to enter any valid ESSID at parameter 3. All you need to do is to setup your terminal correctly.
Any chance for HCPX to CAP converter? Would be greatly appreciated since some of us do compare HC with other toools once in a while ;-)
(09-01-2017, 07:39 PM)oayz Wrote: Any chance for HCPX to CAP converter? Would be greatly appreciated since some of us do compare HC with other toools once in a while ;-)

totally unrelated to this topic and an old one, too. but anyway https://github.com/ZerBea/hcxtools