Budget New Builder Questions
Hello all, 

the last couple of days I been reading a lot about building a mining rig or password cracking rig. To me they seem the same thing. Since I been playing a lot with hashcat and wordlist i thought i would just build a password cracking rig for hashes and wpa2. 

Like i said since I"m new I need to figure out the hardware I need to buy. I'm on a budget at the moment since having a baby couple weeks ago. I"m thinking around $600 to $800 if possible i know it's not much for now but need to find good deals around.  But Im hoping down the road I will put more money into the rig or even more cards for faster cracking. 

I might use it for mining while at work then when i'm at  home switch over to cracking hashes. Since I'm a newbie I was thinking of running linux version since that's what I work at home ... 

Trust me I looked around youtube and other sites for basic configuration to start with and adding more down the road.
well,
first i think u have to decide what is the purpose of ur mining\cracking rig.

since every1 is mining , all card prices went up.
best card for buck is 1070 . when u search a card go for FE models

make ur build and post it here.

we will help u to modify the build if necessary
(09-24-2017, 08:51 AM)kiara Wrote: well,
first i think u have to decide what is the purpose of ur mining\cracking rig.

since every1 is mining , all card prices went up.
best card for buck is 1070 . when u search a card go for FE models

make ur build and post it here.

we will help u to modify  the build if necessary

thanks for replying back. If I do buy the 1070 would I be able to mining and cracking? I notice some are running windows 10 for mining but I did notice that I could run hashcat in windows too. 

What would be good brand or model i should start the rig with? Something cheap or middle price point

1. motherboard
2. power supply
3. SSD Drive about 250GB ( Plane to buy this )
4. 8-16 gig ram (what kind of memory  or does it matter )
5. Extra parts I will need to complete the build. 

I haven't built a computer since 2002. I'm kind of out knowing what are good parts for this kind of rig i want to build.
(09-24-2017, 06:05 AM)Willyboy Wrote: Hello all, 

the last couple of days I been reading a lot about building a mining rig or password cracking rig. To me they seem the same thing. Since I been playing a lot with hashcat and wordlist i thought i would just build a password cracking rig for hashes and wpa2. 

Like i said since I"m new I need to figure out the hardware I need to buy. I'm on a budget at the moment since having a baby couple weeks ago. I"m thinking around $600 to $800 if possible i know it's not much for now but need to find good deals around.  But Im hoping down the road I will put more money into the rig or even more cards for faster cracking. 

I might use it for mining while at work then when i'm at  home switch over to cracking hashes. Since I'm a newbie I was thinking of running linux version since that's what I work at home ... 

Trust me I looked around youtube and other sites for basic configuration to start with and adding more down the road.

The fine folks over at Netmux have you all squared away. See
http://www.netmux.com/blog/how-to-build-...acking-rig

It's above your price point, but you don't need all four GPU cards. I built my rig right from these specs (using 1080s, not 1070s) and it worked perfectly. The software is a bit dated, but still works.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Best,
Jim B.
You don't need an expensive server chassis with even more expensive dual CPUs.

I you calculate all systems costs together, the GTX1070 does not have the best price-performance-ratio. Usually the best (and most expensive) GPU is the best choice, but your budget does not allow that. Maybe you can wait two or three weeks for the new GTX1070Ti.

With the mainboard it depends on how far you want to upgrade the system. The easiest setup is a two-GPU system. Get a budget mainboard with two PCIE-Slots three slots away form each other. A CPU like the new i3-8100 does the job perfectly. Any SSD and 16GB are fine as well. The power supply should have 750 to 800W with gold label at least and will serve 2 GPUs with 250W ok.

Systems with more than two GPUs can become very expensive and usually only make sense for professionals. I'd buy better GPUs like GTX1080 or even the Ti then stuffing a bunch of mediocre graphic cards in a big tower and deal with all the disadvantages.
Thank you everyone for taking the time on educating me on this new hobby... After really thinking about it and reading so much for the last two days. The wife said I had a option, get a newer laptop or build a computer at home. I thought about that for a couple hours. Does it make sense to get a laptop with a (1) 1070 gpu built into it? If I'm on the road that would help having a video card like that. If I build a machine at home it sits there until I get home and work on it. My current laptop I'm running hashcat I did a benchmark and got this result on it.

* Device #2: Iris Pro, 384/1536 MB allocatable, 40MCU

Hashtype: WPA/WPA2

Speed.Dev.#2.....: 8407 H/s (74.87ms) From what I'm looking at it's slow rate right?

I was thinking of really getting a alienware 15 laptop with
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Overclocked or AMD Radeon™ RX 570 with 8GB GDDR5

What do you guys think about that? Since I do a lot of my work on the laptop would it be better to go that route? At the moment I have a mac 2015 model so getting a alienware would be a big change because of the OS.

Let me know what you guys think.
A Laptop is the least choice for hashcracking. It's not designed to absorb heat for a lomng time. Short burts like games are ok. But a hashcat session will let the speed drop significantly due to throttleing.

I'd go for a "desktop" computer in its most literal way. I use a tiny Silverstone chassis (SG13) with a standard FE card. I can take it wherever I want and use it via remote desktop without a monitor. Therefor I can still work on my laptop and let the small machine do the cracking. It surely weighs more than a laptop but then it's much more flexible, since you can change the GPU and use the base machine over years. If you travel by car or train, weight and size are not that big issue. It's relatively quiet, compared to a screaming laptop it's even silent.

From DAN Cases there is an even smaller chassis, the A4, but it costs like 250-300 bucks. The size is spectecular, 7.5l vs. the 11.5l of the SG13 make a huge differnce. And the price tag relevates when you compare it with a powerful notebook.
I was wondering about those 2 cards and is that good speed he has on the laptop?

* Device #2: Iris Pro, 384/1536 MB allocatable, 40MCU

Hashtype: WPA/WPA2

Speed.Dev.#2.....: 8407 H/s (74.87ms) From what I'm looking at it's slow rate right?

I was thinking of really getting a alienware 15 laptop with
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Overclocked or AMD Radeon™ RX 570 with 8GB GDDR5
(10-11-2017, 01:53 AM)germ-x Wrote: I was wondering about those 2 cards and is that good speed he has on the laptop?

Not "good" in any term. Even on a laptop. An outdated 750Ti does ~64.000, an actual GTX1080FE does ~420.000.

That laptop costs around 1500 bucks. The result will be an appauling price/performance ratio. The GTX 1070 will overheat while cracking hashes and throttle heavily. Maybe you could underclock it, but you still end up with machine worth 1,5K with the performance of a 300$ GPU. For the same value you could also get the solution I draw up in my posting with a GTX1080Ti and a nice laptop to control the beast and work while it does the cracking. Not the most handy solution, but therefor you end up with 3 times the cracking performance.
The issue I'm thinking about buying other machine is I have mini hp server sitting here haven't used it in the last 6 months. Most of my lab stuff I been doing it on my laptop . Buying other machine i would think it would only be turn on when I had to crack hashes. But I may use it for mining too. Choose between laptop or desktop...

I did find this post on building one the parts i would need.

https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-6743-po...l#pid35994

I just need to figure out the parts and the cost . Like I said if I could build a decent machine with enough power and speed i would think about getting a desktop. Maybe adding other gpu down the road.

Any suggestion on motherboard, cpu, psu, memory?