Build advice
  • So I am in the process of planning a build and would appreciate any advice. The main reason I'm building this is for hashcat but I would like to use it for other things as well in the future. I'm a complete newb so would appreciate any feedback. Here's what I've come up with so far.

• Intel - Core i9-7900X 3.3GHz 10-Core Processor
  • Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Asus - ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME EATX LGA2066 Motherboard
  • 4 Dominator Platinum SE 16GB DDR4-3200 
  • Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • 4 NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
  • Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Thanks!
My personal recommendation would we to ditch the ATX case and get an open frame instead, but this otherwise looks fine. (I just think the open frames cool down way easier. They are noisier, however)
A 10-core CPU is not necessary. If you need this system only for hashcracking there are cheaper configurations possible with LGA1151. I'd prefer three 1080Ti over four 1080.
(12-08-2017, 04:58 PM)unix-ninja Wrote: My personal recommendation would we to ditch the ATX case and get an open frame instead, but this otherwise looks fine. (I just think the open frames cool down way easier. They are noisier, however)

I was thinking about going that route but never ended up looking into them. Do you have any open case recommendations? 

Thanks!
(12-08-2017, 06:34 PM)Flomac Wrote: A 10-core CPU is not necessary. If you need this system only for hashcracking there are cheaper configurations possible with LGA1151. I'd prefer three 1080Ti over four 1080.

I was originally going with a much cheaper cpu but ended up deciding to go with something better. While the main justification for building this is for cracking, I will be using it for other things as well. 

Do you know anywhere that has the 1080 ti's in stock for a decent price? Every place I've looked is out of stock or prices are ridiculous. 

Thanks!
Nope and even if: it would not help since we surely shop in different areas of the world Wink

Honestly it does not make much sense to build such an expensive rack at the end of a GPU-life-cycle unless you absolutly need it.
(12-08-2017, 10:33 PM)Flomac Wrote: Nope and even if: it would not help since we surely shop in different areas of the world Wink

Honestly it does not make much sense to build such an expensive rack at the end of a GPU-life-cycle unless you absolutly need it.

lol! 

Unfortunately this is actually something I need right away. :/
What do you guys think of the Thermaltake Core open frame cases? They at least look pretty cool. Smile
I personally don't like open cases. You have to be extremly careful around them. I prefer a closed case and a high rate of airflow. Plus carrying them around is way more difficult.
(12-09-2017, 12:09 AM)Flomac Wrote: I personally don't like open cases. You have to be extremly careful around them. I prefer a closed case and a high rate of airflow. Plus carrying them around is way more difficult.

I see, thanks for your input. I have been known to break stuff so that's definitely something to think about lol.

So you got me really thinking about the 1080 ti's. If I found a couple used ones on ebay would it be an issue mixing them with the 1080's?