Hardware advice on a new build
Hi all,

Been doing some research and starting to select my build, would greatly appreciate some advice! 

The GPU's are the only thing I haven't picked yet, of which I'm going to get 4x
I'm about ready to accept i'm not going to find any 1080 Ti FE's or even 1070's for that matter. 

So really my question is, how bad of an idea is it to place 4x 1080 Ti's next to each other? If that's your only choice what extra steps would you take to protect them?

ASUS Turbo GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X is my lead contender so far.

For the rest, i'm equally open to any advice; please let me know your thoughts:

Mobo: Asus X99-E WS Socket 2011-v3 CEB Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7 6850K Extreme (Broadwell-E) Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor

CPU Cooler: be quiet! BK019 Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler with Dual Silent Wings Fan

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 PC4-19200 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D High Airflow Edition Full Tower Case

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 ATX Power Supply

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Basic 500GB Solid State Hard Drive 2.5"

Thanks in advance!
(01-25-2018, 11:06 PM)PeterPenguin Wrote: Hi all,

Been doing some research and starting to select my build, would greatly appreciate some advice! 

The GPU's are the only thing I haven't picked yet, of which I'm going to get 4x
I'm about ready to accept i'm not going to find any 1080 Ti FE's or even 1070's for that matter. 

So really my question is, how bad of an idea is it to place 4x 1080 Ti's next to each other? If that's your only choice what extra steps would you take to protect them?

ASUS Turbo GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X is my lead contender so far.

I would really wait for FE cards. Volta is supposed to be out within a couple months. If you absolutely HAVE to get the Turbo cards, make sure there is good air intake and airflow over the cards. Removing the backplates will dissipate heat a little better and allow more air to flow out.

Side note: be careful with a 1600W PSU, I believe epixiop saw that 1080 Tis ran up to 300W each, so you're pushing 1200W with the GPUs alone. Add the CPU, SSD, fans/cooling and everything else, you'd be cutting it close.
(01-26-2018, 12:10 AM)soxrok2212 Wrote: I would really wait for FE cards. Volta is supposed to be out within a couple months. If you absolutely HAVE to get the Turbo cards, make sure there is good air intake and airflow over the cards. Removing the backplates will dissipate heat a little better and allow more air to flow out.

Side note: be careful with a 1600W PSU, I believe epixiop saw that 1080 Tis ran up to 300W each, so you're pushing 1200W with the GPUs alone. Add the CPU, SSD, fans/cooling and everything else, you'd be cutting it close.

It's for a work project and budget is available now so I'd like to get something now.
Will hopefully be able to also get some of the new FE cards when they become available. 

Thanks for the advice on removing the backplates, i'll look into this.
Also on the PSU. I've seen some people's builds online running 4x 1080ti's with a 1600w but I will certainly go over it again and adjust if needed.
Also be sure that the case you’re looking at can fit all 4 GPUs. I didn’t look at anything more than the pictures and it looks like only 3 fit. Seemed that the PSU was in the way.
(01-27-2018, 12:56 AM)PeterPenguin Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 12:10 AM)soxrok2212 Wrote: I would really wait for FE cards. Volta is supposed to be out within a couple months. If you absolutely HAVE to get the Turbo cards, make sure there is good air intake and airflow over the cards. Removing the backplates will dissipate heat a little better and allow more air to flow out.

It's for a work project and budget is available now so I'd like to get something now.
Will hopefully be able to also get some of the new FE cards when they become available. 

Thanks for the advice on removing the backplates, i'll look into this.
Also on the PSU. I've seen some people's builds online running 4x 1080ti's with a 1600w but I will certainly go over it again and adjust if needed.
I'll second @soxrock2212 post about holding out for FE cards. If you are purchasing through a business, try calling places such as newegg business, cdw, etc. These places have business lines where you may be able to order multiples of products as a business account. If your purchasing department already has established sales representatives, ask for their contact info and get in touch with them directly. Stuff is out of stock everywhere, but business vendors may be able to work some magic for you.
Appreciate your comments and stressing the importance of the FE cards.
What would your thoughts be to getting a couple Titan Xp's now so we can get started and then ideally getting another couple FE cards when they next become available?

Have also reached out to our suppliers to see if they can do some magic!
(01-30-2018, 03:39 PM)PeterPenguin Wrote: Appreciate your comments and stressing the importance of the FE cards.
What would your thoughts be to getting a couple Titan Xp's now so we can get started and then ideally getting another couple FE cards when they next become available?

Have also reached out to our suppliers to see if they can do some magic!

There is really no benefit of using Xp cards over the direct competitor, the 1080 Ti. Only difference you’ll see is price.