Rtx 2080 max-q
Hi guys,

I’d like to buy a new laptop razor equipped with Rtx 2080 max-q.

I can see that the desktop version Rtx 2080 is supported by hashcat and scores well on benchmark.
I’m wondering if the mobile version is supported too and if the mobile version would give me a similar outcome.  

Cheers
Laptops are generally not recommended for use with hashcat. They are not designed to handle sustained high loads and will overheat and/or heat throttle quickly, damaging your hardware in the long run.

In general, mobile chipsets are, despite the misleading naming scheme, very different from desktop chipsets (imagine a 300W TDP chipset burning through your lap lol).
(08-19-2019, 11:23 AM)undeath Wrote: Laptops are generally not recommended for use with hashcat. They are not designed to handle sustained high loads and will overheat and/or heat throttle quickly, damaging your hardware in the long run.

In general, mobile chipsets are, despite the misleading naming scheme, very different from desktop chipsets (imagine a 300W TDP chipset burning through your lap lol).

They don’t look so different to be honest:
https://www.techwalls.com/nvidia-rtx-208...omparison/

What makes the difference in performance in term of hash power?
From the page you linked:
"Boost Clock (MHz) 1095 [40% slower than] 1800"
"Base Clock (MHz) 735 [half as slow as] 1515"

Maybe you were misled by the graphs? They are not comparing laptop vs desktop, they are only comparing between two laptops Smile
Quote:They are not designed to handle sustained high loads and will overheat and/or heat throttle quickly, damaging your hardware in the long run.

This is the more critical point, clock speeds and hashrates don't mean shit if your hardware is throttled or broken.
(08-21-2019, 07:55 AM)slyexe Wrote:
Quote:They are not designed to handle sustained high loads and will overheat and/or heat throttle quickly, damaging your hardware in the long run.

This is the more critical point, clock speeds and hashrates don't mean shit if your hardware is throttled or broken.

Idk, new laptops might have overcome this issue with more modern cooling systems, I agree that isn’t the best value for money but speaking about cooling issues sound as a 2015/7 statement to me.

For instance the Alienware area51-m, it should be the state of art of cooling system. Does anybody have a hands on experience on this kind of laptop?