Hashcat not working on q8200
I'm trying on cpu only as don't even have a GPU yet. I've installed the x64 opencl drivers and got no errors yet when I run HC I get error cl_device_not_available.

The q8200 is old I know but I think it was about the first CPU to support cuda, ie SSE 4.1 I think, so it should work, can somebody enlighten me?
CUDA is as far as I know a nVidia-only GPU-only technology, maybe you meant OpenCL which is the cross-platform equivalent?

To use OpenCL on Intel CPUs you might have to install both the CPU ICD (probably what you installed) and the integratedGPU "Beignet" ICD, but the Q8200 does not appear to have any iGPU (I guess you remote into that box, or use some other kind of non-dGPU graphics integrated to the motherboard?).
I'll going to buy a GPU that supports opencl, if my CPU doesn't support opencl and my GPU does, does HC just automatically use the GPU, in other words HC will still work even if CPU doesn't support, otherwise I'll need to get new motherboard, ram, GPU, PS etc?
as long as you have a single device that supports opencl you can use hashcat.
You just need the GPU to support OpenCL and be supported by Hashcat, i.e. pretty much any recent good GPU Smile For example the GPUs that people discuss and benchmark here, or you can ask about a specific GPU if you are not sure.

It's actually better that Hashcat does not see your CPU anyway: on my system built around an i7-7700K and a Titan Xp, Hashcat is slower when I force it to use both, using the Titan Xp alone is faster Smile
(08-28-2019, 02:44 PM)Kryczek Wrote: It's actually better that Hashcat does not see your CPU anyway

Many Hashes run faster with a CPU rather than a GPU. Don't be throwing CPU's under the bus man. 

Just do a hashcat64 -I and see what pops up for you. You may need to manually enable the CPU as well with -d
Ah yes, sorry, I did not express myself correctly Smile I meant that CPU+GPU turned out to be slower than using my GPU alone; I discovered that with GPU-friendly hashes indeed but it is likely to happen the other way around as well Smile
Had the same problem Google search how to install hashcat CPU only infosexy. Dont make my mistake follow all the directions. I didnt the first time and had to do it over. Even the part about nividia drivers do it all step by step takes a little while but then it runs perfectly. Except I cant get the rules to work. I've asked for an answer here been a couple days and nothing. Hope this helps good luck.
(08-29-2019, 07:52 PM)Rdgeno Wrote: Had the same problem Google search how to install hashcat CPU only infosexy. Dont make my mistake follow all the directions. I didnt the first time and had to do it over. Even the part about nividia drivers do it all step by step takes a little while but then it runs perfectly. Except I cant get the rules to work. I've asked for an answer here been a couple days and nothing. Hope this helps good luck.

Do you have a link to the guide your talking about?
https://www.alexanderjsingleton.com/info...ntu-18-04/ if that doesnt work just Google search how to install hashcat CPU only infosexy. Good luck.