Defining character length.
When I start Hashcat it says 8 to 64 charcters, which is what I want. If I'm reading this right in the hash screen or whatever its called sorry if the terminology is wrong, anyways at the bottom when I press s in the candidates line it shows what I think is the current word it's guessing. If I'm correct about that being the password guess then why is it guessing passwords that are only two characters and up? How can I fix that? Thank you in advance for your help. Have a nice day.
are you talking about the hashing algorithm -m 2500 = WPA/WPA2 ?

what is your command ? -a 3 ?

can you please copy-paste the status screen that you see in here ?
[quote="philsmd" pid='45997' dateline='1568750607']
are you talking about the hashing algorithm -m 2500 = WPA/WPA2 ?

what is your command ? -a 3 ?

can you please copy-paste the status screen that you see in here ?
I attached the pic, not sure if I did it right never posted a pic here before I'm using hashcat -m 2500 -a 0 -r best64.rule sorry I should have been more specific.
I understand what you want me to do I will as soon as i get home I misread your request.
Session..........: hashcat
Status...........: Running
Hash.Type........: WPA-EAPOL-PBKDF2
Hash.Target......: XXXXXXXX (AP:2c:99:24:55:be:19 STA:94:27:90:09:78:a9)
Time.Started.....: Mon Sep 16 20:30:57 2019 (22 hours, 54 mins)
Time.Estimated...: Sat Sep 21 17:10:47 2019 (3 days, 21 hours)
Guess.Base.......: File (BLACKLIST.txt)
Guess.Mod........: Rules (/usr/share/hashcat/rules/best64.rule)
Guess.Queue......: 1/1 (100.00%)
Speed.#2.........: 649 H/s (6.03ms) @ Accel:128 Loops:64 Thr:1 Vec:4
Recovered........: 0/1 (0.00%) Digests, 0/1 (0.00%) Salts
Progress.........: 63333900/282345525 (22.43%)
Rejected.........: 9762060/63333900 (15.41%)
Restore.Point....: 822332/3666825 (22.43%)
Restore.Sub.#2...: Salt:0 Amplifier:56-57 Iteration:2112-2176
Candidates.#2....: discordantnediscordantne -> discouragidiscouragi
It's done.
I'm also trying to get the list I made to run like this, (First part of password)words in the list. I want them to combine with what I know the name is either the first eight charters ,or the last eight. I have been messing around with cupp.py, crunch and The Mentalist trying to do that but I'm not having any luck, if you could help me out there too it would be greatly appreciated. Also I know 650/HS is slow I ordered another computer to get the speed up it just hasn't arrived yet.
I don't understand what the problem is and what you are seeing. This is your statement:
Quote:why is it guessing passwords that are only two characters

but your screenshot clearly says that the passwords look like this:
Code:
discordantnediscordantne

this password candidate is definitely longer than the minimum password length for WPA (which is 8 bytes/characters).

the status screen also confirms that it rejected a lot of too short (or long) passwords:
Code:

15 % of the passwords were not considered because they didn't meet the password length requirements for this specific hash type.

It looks like everything is working perfectly fine. I don't see any problem in your status screen and can't confirm any of your claims
[quote="philsmd" pid='46009' dateline='1568788133']
I don't understand what the problem is and what you are seeing. This is your statement:
[quote]
why is it guessing passwords that are only two characters
[/quote]

but your screenshot clearly says that the passwords look like this:
Code:
discordantnediscordantne

this password candidate is definitely longer than the minimum password length for WPA (which is 8 bytes/characters).

the status screen also confirms that it rejected a lot of too short (or long) passwords:
Code:

15 % of the passwords were not considered because they didn't meet the password length requirements for this specific hash type.

It looks like everything is working perfectly fine. I don't see any problem in your status screen and can't confirm any of your claims
Yes your correct when it comes to what I posted but for the first eight hours it was running two four and five characters It's not the first time I have had this happen. In a few days when it's done running these hashes I will restart it on the same list and post it when it is at the beginning it only does it for a few hours then it does exactly what you saw. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. It's kind of disheartening when your having a problem and you ask a question and it just gets ignored, (Stack Exchange, Git Hub.) Thank you again.
What your saying is correct according to what you see in my post, it was the first eight hours it was doing it. Once this has finished running I will start it over and post it again with the short passwords. It isn't the first time it has done it. Thank you for your help greatly appreciated.